Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

Article about: thats an awesome rifle im saving up to get one from CMP for my reenacting but i wont have the money for a while

?

Default Re: My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

Very nice I have one also but yours looks much better, watch the ammo you shoot through it so it isnt corrosive. i had a freind who had to replace the barrel after shooting korean ammo.

Curt

?

That is awesome. It did have a rebuild in 54 according to the barrel replacement. For that serial # and with the lock bar sights(replaced after WW2) the trigger guard should be the milled type. It would give it the correct year of Mfg. of the receiver look. Stamped TG came out in April of 44. The stock is the CMP replacement stock. That is their cartouche.They make for a great fit and that makes for a good shooter. I shoot in the CMP matches. I'm going to the CMP western games in Oct. to shoot in the as issued Garand match. Mine was made in Dec 43 or Jan. 44 depending on what data you look at. She is in the 2.50 serial # range.
    So it came with the lock bar sight's? That is Great for a WW2 collector.(Thats what I got on mine) They do come lose during shooting so keep checking to keep it tight.Thats why they were replaced after the war.
    If you don't mind me asking. Is that the servicable grade you ordered?
    You got yourself a sweeeet looking Garand!!!!!!!!!
    Along with the last post . You need to shoot M1 Garand specific ammo like the M2 ball ammo.If you shoot other ammo you will bend your OP rod. if you want to shoot commerical ammo look into a adjustable Shuster valve.
    Congrat's
    Phil

?

Like I said in my last post it depends on who's data you look at to tell when they were made.
    This is one that tells me mine was made in Jan.44. Others say 43.
    M1 Garand Born on Date
    Enjoy that Garand! And that first PING is just AWESOME!!!!!
    Take care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Let me guess, he didn't clean it properly?
    (cat66)

I also got my rifle through the cmp, they are very good but you have to clean a few buckets of cosmoline out of the action and etc. Unless your barrel is in match grade I would not worry about the ammunition you use as long as its the right size, and you keep it clean. Corrosive ammo damages the barrel if you leave residue in the chamber or shoot it multiple times without cleaning. I would not use tracers though ... they do not like phosphorus

?

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    I would not worry about the ammunition you use as long as its the right size,
    You need to do more research about what you are saying. Because it is incorrect. The M2 ball used for the M1 Garand has a specific powder charge for the correct amount of gas pressure to cycle the action. If the incorrect ammo is used repeatedly you WILL bend your OP rod. It not just something I made up. It is a fact. That is why the Shuster valve was created!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Beautiful rifle, Joe. Nice to see that it came complete with a CMP marked gun case.

Were there different grades available as we discussed some time back ?
    I see it says 'G-3' on the tag.........
    Thanks, Steve! Yeah, there were a few different grades available. The lowest was field grade (which can be pretty beat up... a lot of people use these as their reenacting rifles) then followed by service grade (which is what mine is), and then special grade in either .30-06 or .308 (Special grades are damn near mint and damn expensive). There was also an M1C and M1D sniper option... but as can be imagined, these are expensive as hell too.

Quote by cat66 View Post
    Very nice I have one also but yours looks much better, watch the ammo you shoot through it so it isnt corrosive. i had a freind who had to replace the barrel after shooting korean ammo. Curt
    I'll do my best to take good care of it! The condition of the barrel looks amazing... I have 200rnds of Greek M2 Ball surplus coming for my rifle.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is awesome. It did have a rebuild in 54 according to the barrel replacement. For that serial # and with the lock bar sights(replaced after WW2) the trigger guard should be the milled type. It would give it the correct year of Mfg. of the receiver look. Stamped TG came out in April of 44. The stock is the CMP replacement stock. That is their cartouche.They make for a great fit and that makes for a good shooter. I shoot in the CMP matches. I'm going to the CMP western games in Oct. to shoot in the as issued Garand match. Mine was made in Dec 43 or Jan. 44 depending on what data you look at. She is in the 2.50 serial # range.
    So it came with the lock bar sight's? That is Great for a WW2 collector.(Thats what I got on mine) They do come lose during shooting so keep checking to keep it tight.Thats why they were replaced after the war.
    If you don't mind me asking. Is that the servicable grade you ordered?
    You got yourself a sweeeet looking Garand!!!!!!!!!
    Along with the last post . You need to shoot M1 Garand specific ammo like the M2 ball ammo.If you shoot other ammo you will bend your OP rod. if you want to shoot commerical ammo look into a adjustable Shuster valve.
    Congrat's
    Phil
    Thanks for the kind words, Phil! I'm going to have to disagree with you on the stock on my rifle. It's actually USGI either rearsenaled for Korea or made during the Korean War Era. Compare my markings to the markings found on the CMP replacement stocks:
    My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

You need to do more research about what you are saying. Because it is incorrect. The M2 ball used for the M1 Garand has a specific powder charge for the correct amount of gas pressure to cycle the action. If the incorrect ammo is used repeatedly you WILL bend your OP rod. It not just something I made up. It is a fact. That is why the Shuster valve was created!
    I will agree with you on this one, Phil! I have been told the same thing and I have seen modern ammo that is specially made for the Garand!

My NEW CMP M1 Garand Rifle!

?

Sorry GIZMO for the bum scoop on the cartouche. That is the June 1953 to June 1957 DOD acceptance cartouche.
    Sorry My Bust.
    That ammo from what I have read is good to go!!!!
    I have only used the Greek HXP that CMP sell's or the Hornady M1 garand ammo we use for the matches. Once again sorry for the bad call on the cartouche.

Sorry GIZMO for the bum scoop on the cartouche. That is the June 1953 to June 1957 DOD acceptance cartouche.
    Sorry My Bust.
    That ammo from what I have read is good to go!!!!
    I have only used the Greek HXP that CMP sell's or the Hornady M1 garand ammo we use for the matches. Once again sorry for the bad call on the cartouche.
    No problem! In militaria and firearms, there are SO many different markings and quirks to learn and remember! I've made similar mistakes before. Plus, I think the CMP intentionally made their cartouche similar looking to the DOD Acceptance cartouche... so it's easy to mix them up.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast