Just got this today. It appears unissued and is in excellent condt with a minty looking bore. It was missing the bayonet but a buddy of mine had one. The rifle has serial number Serial #342 on the receiver and bolt handle, no other place and no Rundle/cartouche. The only other marks I can find is a tiny P and a tiny 4 on the front bottom of the receiver. The rifle is stoved except for etched/parked bolt and middle band. The number on the later bayonet almost matched being #24, just a backwards #42. LOL
It has all type 1 parts except a type 2 receiver and front band. The gromment on the front sight band is missing so I need to find one. I understand it was soddered on so that may be a problem trying not to damage the paint when putting it back on. Is the gromment threaded and does the screw thread into it to secure the band to the stock? Would the missing gromment affect accuracy?
Has any more information been uncovered on thses Mystery rifles?

My new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifleMy new French Mystery MAS 36 rifle