Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My NEW "Typewriter" Smith-Corona M1903A3 Rifle

Article about: Funny that Pvt. Jackson's Springfield had a Straight bolt but had a Scope as well. Your rifle has a Bent bolt and No scope...is it drilled and set up for one?

Default Re: My NEW "Typewriter" Smith-Corona M1903A3 Rifle

Funny that Pvt. Jackson's Springfield had a Straight bolt but had a Scope as well. Your rifle has a Bent bolt and No scope...is it drilled and set up for one?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Joe, I think you made a good purchase.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Funny that Pvt. Jackson's Springfield had a Straight bolt but had a Scope as well. Your rifle has a Bent bolt and No scope...is it drilled and set up for one?
    That may just be a movie mistake. For a lot of the scenes where firing weapons wasn't required, the actors in Saving Pvt. Ryan, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, etc. used foam rubber dummy rifles without any moving parts. The scene pictured is in the pouring rain... so maybe they decided not to subject the real rifles to those wet conditions? My rifle is not drilled and set up for a scope. It's rear sight is actually very similar to the peep sight on my M1 Carbines.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Joe, I think you made a good purchase.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks, Ade! It's always a pleasure to receive your seal of approval. I wish the M1903A3 was a garbage find too! It would have saved me a few bucks to say the least!!

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Jackson`s rifle would have been an A4 model I believe, not an A3.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

That makes sense, zwerge! Thanks!

My GF approves!

?

Now all you need is a nice WW II bayonet to match you nice 03A3 to compete your rig.

Quote by samnev View Post
    Now all you need is a nice WW II bayonet to match you nice 03A3 to compete your rig.
    Way ahead of you, Sam! This belt, suspender, and bayonet grouping came from a customer at our recycling facility.

My NEW "Typewriter" Smith-Corona M1903A3 RifleMy NEW "Typewriter" Smith-Corona M1903A3 Rifle

cool info.thanks
    To collect items of Special Forces/C.I.D.G/P.R.U-Nam era

Quote by Jameswolf View Post
    cool info.thanks
    Thanks for taking a look!

?

Way to go Joe!!! The bayonet you have was used on the 03A3 but the slightly more correct bayonet would be the long 1942 bayonet which was used on both of the 03 models and the Garand. It 's blade is 16" and has black plastic grips and a scabbard made of the same material your bayonet is. Your bayonet is the M1 bayonet which could either have black plastic or wooden grips and was used on the M1 Garand. I would be willing to bet the M1 bayonet was used on both. The long bayonets especially the 1905 model bayonet with the leather scabbard or leather tipped canvas scabbard are all quite hard to find and when found cost many $$$$$. I only have the long bayonets on my 1903's. All my 03A3's have the same M1 bayonet on them or the cut down 1905E1 with the fullers going all the way to the tip. In any case now your rig is complete and as usual you did very well on both of them, congrats.
    Sam

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast