Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield

Article about: Just thought I might post this one of mine. It is decativated due to the fact that my parents would not let me have a firing one...... yes I am only 12 years old! It is dated 1938, and does

Default Re: My No.1 Mk.III SMLE Enfield

how do i get the top handguard off?

Hi,
    You have a nice rifle there, i have two in my collection both models.
    The armourer marks are basic marks for most rifles, mine are B.S.A, also. You dont really need to strip the rifle just to see the stamps, some are ok to strip but can give you a job if you dont know how. All i would suggest to you is clean your rifle I.E, get as much dirt and rust of as possible as you will find in the future it will start to eat into the rifle. I see you have a small area of rust in the pics, If the rifle was deactivated then it would have been put together again including the grease it needs so there is no need to strip it for that. all i do is take my weapons and oil them ones a month, i have done this for years and they are in good order.
    Take care of the rifle as i think you said it was your grand fathers
    i to have one handed down to me from the family and treasure that. all the best dave.

Panzer 3, it was not my grandfathers ( i never said that). The rifle was not deactivated in the way that you thought it was. It had a piece of metal welded into the breech of the barrel, it was never taken apart.

Thanks for the comments!!

sorry bud, for not replying missed the thread somehow

The rifle will have/should have lots of proof stamps and numbers all over the barrel/breech. Everytime the rifle went in for repairs, or alterations an armourer would stamp it. Your rifle was military. Its just that the first proof marks (crown over B) show that it was a commercial stamp Rifle for Military, but not necessarily owned by the military, Its complicated

I have about 12 of them, and 4 that i regularly shoot. . collecting 303Ammunition is one of my favourite past times. I have over 2000 rounds, nearly all different head stamps. About 600 from WW1

Its a nice rifle you have, although I much prefer the early ones (1912-14) The sighting was better and more accurate. Volley sights were too expensive to make, so they changed to iron sights.

The Ishapore rifles were sub standard most of the time and used as grenade launchers more often than not. The best ones to get are in fact the British made ones, Although for accuracy, you'll have to go a long way to beat a Canadian Ross .303 But in the trenches it became prone to stoppages and jamming as it wasn't robust enough to cope with the adverse western front conditions

I'll stop now probably boring everybody

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    You have a nice rifle there, i have two in my collection both models.
    The armourer marks are basic marks for most rifles, mine are B.S.A, also. You dont really need to strip the rifle just to see the stamps, some are ok to strip but can give you a job if you dont know how. All i would suggest to you is clean your rifle I.E, get as much dirt and rust of as possible as you will find in the future it will start to eat into the rifle. I see you have a small area of rust in the pics, If the rifle was deactivated then it would have been put together again including the grease it needs so there is no need to strip it for that. all i do is take my weapons and oil them ones a month, i have done this for years and they are in good order.
    Take care of the rifle as i think you said it was your grand fathers
    i to have one handed down to me from the family and treasure that. all the best dave.
    Dave,

Even though a bit off topic, can you tell me what are you using to hold your weapons to the wall? It looks quite sturdy, stealthy and seems not to damage the weapons.

I am reluctant to "hang" my weapons to the wall for fear of them falling and/or damaging them. On the other hand, other more "secure" methods I have seen are too bulky and detract the attention from the weapons. But your system is brilliant.

Regards,

Gus

Hi,
    I am sorry if i got you mixed up with someone else, they have the same issue rifle. and the deactivation is different over here, they really have to be stripped cut and welded to be deacs in the U.K,.
    I to have one with a rod in the barrel, done many years ago.
    Look after it and i hope you get many more.
    Regards Dave.

How did you mount your guns to your wall panzer 3? I am considering mounting my k98 and lee enfield to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2