Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My recently purchased RC K98

Article about: I acquired this RC k98 this week at a local pawn shop.It has all the characteristics of a RC k98-red shellac,mismatched parts and bolt, electric pencilled serial number,no cleaning rod,no si

Default My recently purchased RC K98

I acquired this RC k98 this week at a local pawn shop.It has all the
    characteristics of a RC k98-red shellac,mismatched parts and bolt,
    electric pencilled serial number,no cleaning rod,no sight hood,no
    capture screws,etc.The pawn shop had4 other Rc k98s,but I chose
    this one because it is a DOT43 with alot of proper waffenamts ,no peening
    of the eagle,and I feel its a little less common.The bore is clean and all I
    did was clean the rifle to remove any loose grim and dirt.I would like to hear
    any comments on the gun.Also what do you feel about adding a cleaning rod,
    sight hood,capture screws,and removing the red shellac,or should I leave the gun as it now-a piece of history?I am new to collecting k98s,so any comments and guidance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    p.s. pictures to hopefully follow--trouble uploading...

Default Re: My recently purchased RC K98

Hello-as I've said about my own R/C K98, the rifle's history is what it is-as unique and distinct as any other example-of course it's yours so you can modify it if you want and the end result pleases you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My recently purchased RC K98  

HI,
    Good looking RC .I am leaning towards leaving it as it is now.
    Peter

I'd leave the shelack on the wood as is, but I don't see a problem with adding a cleaning rod and sight hood. Good quality repos can be found for cheap, and I feel the rifle looks like it's missing something without them!

Here is my Russian capture bnz. 41.

My recently purchased RC K98My recently purchased RC K98

HI,
    Nice looking RC k98.Iam going to leave my RC k98 as it is now and just add the missing parts.
    thanks,
    Peter

?

Quote by papapanzer View Post
    HI,
    Nice looking RC k98.Iam going to leave my RC k98 as it is now and just add the missing parts.
    thanks,
    Peter
    Peter,
    I agree with GIZMO8Z. I would not touch the red shellac of do anything else to alter the rifle. However adding the capture screws, sight hood cleaning rod etc,will not permanently alter the rifle and cam always be removed at a later date if necessary.

Samney,
    Aftet reading the old thread on using a hair dryer to remove cosmoline in the wood on a RC k98,I tried it. It took off the high glossy
    shine,leaving a lighter red dull color on the stock.The gunk that came off on the rag was light brown in color and smelled like cosmoline.
    This process took me most of the afternoon ,but Iam really happy with the results.There is still some slight shine to the stock,not just that
    high glossy look that I do not like.I am going to take your ,and GIZMO8Z's advise and add the capture screws, cleaning rod.sight hood,
    and sling.Do you recommend any particular source for these parts-Gunbroker,Ebay, etc.?
    I will post pictures later.
    Thanks,
    Peter

?

Samney,
    Aftet reading the old thread on using a hair dryer to remove cosmoline in the wood on a RC k98,I tried it. It took off the high glossy
    shine,leaving a lighter red dull color on the stock.The gunk that came off on the rag was light brown in color and smelled like cosmoline.
    This process took me most of the afternoon ,but Iam really happy with the results.There is still some slight shine to the stock,not just that
    high glossy look that I do not like.I am going to take your ,and GIZMO8Z's advise and add the capture screws, cleaning rod.sight hood,
    and sling.Do you recommend any particular source for these parts-Gunbroker,Ebay, etc.?
    I will post pictures later.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    There are 2 primary sources I use. SARCO in New Jersey would be one. Numrich AKA Gun Parts in New York is another good source. Just Google there names and you will be able to contact them. I recommend Numrich to GIZMO8Z and that were he got his dust cover and monopod for his type 99 Arisaka. Don't hesitate to get repro parts.
    You can also try E-Bay if all else fails but I have never used them as I have see to many of us get screwed by some of the sellers.
    Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards and good luck,
    Sam

I just placed an order on Gunbroker for a cleaning rod and capture screws.The screws are good, but the cleaning rod is a blued used repro.
    (possibly good ).Anyway,I will check on the sight hood with Sarco and Numrich AKA Gun Parts.
    Thanks again,
    Peter

?

I just placed an order on Gunbroker for a cleaning rod and capture screws.The screws are good, but the cleaning rod is a blued used repro.
    (possibly good ).Anyway,I will check on the sight hood with Sarco and Numrich AKA Gun Parts.
    Thanks again,
    Peter
    Peter, I have ordered from Gunbroker before W=(Won bid on Webley Mk I N Automatic among other and had no problems) you should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast