Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Sht LE Mk I*** and Sht LE Mk V

Article about: The Mk V is 1 of only 20,000 that was made for trials in the 1920's. I found it about 30 years ago at the Ohio Gun Collectors Association Show when it was still in Columbus Ohio. I found the

?

Default My Sht LE Mk I*** and Sht LE Mk V

The Mk V is 1 of only 20,000 that was made for trials in the 1920's. I found it about 30 years ago at the Ohio Gun Collectors Association Show when it was still in Columbus Ohio. I found the Mk I*** about the same time at at a later OGCA.

Default Re: My Sht LE Mk I*** and Sht LE Mk V

Royal Naval issue Short LE MkI***- no charger bridge fitted and magazine cut off present-good examples of uncommon LE variants.

?

Nice rifles. I really like your Mk I***. Looks like the only update to it is the Mk III butt stock.
    I just picked up two No 1, Mk I*** rifles. But they had a couple more updates then yours as they also have the standard MkIII rear sight and sight protectors. They went on to serve post war in Ireland with the Free Irish National Army during the 2nd tready civil war and were re-serial numbered by the Irish Government. Ray

4md
    ?

very very nice!!, it would be great to own just one of these rare beasties. You had a good eye 30 years ago.

regards Paul

Beautiful rifles I love the SMLE MkI*** especially.

I have a couple of questions, for you and lithgow. Which one has the New Zealand (I assume?) butt disc, as it's hard to tell from the photos? I'm guessing it's the I***?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Royal Naval issue Short LE MkI***- no charger bridge fitted and magazine cut off present-good examples of uncommon LE variants.
    Why is it Naval issue? My understanding is that MkI*** rifles were Land Service weapons, basically SMLE MkI* guns upgraded for Mk VII ammo. Am I missing something?

Rob

There should have been a question mark after 'RN' (internet connectivity/typo problems)-I couldn't see the butt disc clearly-looked like 'RN' to my eyes but could probably well be 'NZ'-the MkI*** was used by the RN, some with MkIII charger bridges fitted.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    There should have been a question mark after 'RN' (internet connectivity/typo problems)-I couldn't see the butt disc clearly-looked like 'RN' to my eyes but could probably well be 'NZ'-the MkI*** was used by the RN, some with MkIII charger bridges fitted.
    OK, I see, that's what was confusing me. I didn't think Mk I*** were RN weapons, even though they do have the naval-type windguage. I thought they were just land service SMLEs without charger guide but modified in 1914 for the newer Mk VII ammunition.

Rob