Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My Sten gun

Article about: I visited a militaria fare last year and purchased what I was told was an SOE sten,I have since found out that this is not the case,It is in fact a remodeled sten made by Finland in the 50's

Default Re: My Sten gun

many thanks for the info bobby

?

Hi Kanister

Yes I understood your last post and appreciate your input,That is why on this post I stated remodeled sten.
    And yes I will take away the sling swivel.

Thank you again for your help,I now have a Sten I really like.
    Regards Gary

?

Sling swivel will be removed and yes please I would like the dimensions for the rear sight,Thank you

Regards Gary

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Much better looking now, you just need to remove the front sling swivel from the barrel nut. Do you want the dimensions for the rear sight, I reckon you would have no probs making one.

Really great job on the butt stock - It looks like an original piece.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Hopefully these pictures of my sten might help, It's a bit difficult taking measurements and photographing at the same time!! I expect M3Bobby will have the exact measurements for the rear sight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Sten gun   My Sten gun  

My Sten gun   My Sten gun  

My Sten gun  

?

Great job with the mods to your Sten Gary
    Looks so much better.

Brad.

?

HI Grimebox

Thank you for the pictures most helpful,It was interesting to see how crudely made the rear sight was,So should be an easy fix.

Is it my eyes or camera angle,Is the hole in the rear sight on your sten slightly off center ?

Like the skeletol stock.

regards Gary

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Hopefully these pictures of my sten might help, It's a bit difficult taking measurements and photographing at the same time!! I expect M3Bobby will have the exact measurements for the rear sight.

Probably not off centre but the welding may give that impression. The rear sight had a small diameter rod at the base and this was inserted through a corresponding hole throught the body and butt bracket which kept the assembly aligned while it was welded up. Although it appears quite crude in appearance, the STENs were assembled on Jigs to keep the trigger housing and tube aligned, and the MPI was adjusted by drifting the front sight before welding. Fine adjustment was carried out by rotating the Barrel and when the correct MPI was acceptable, a witness line was marked on the barrel in line with the sights so the gun could be reassembled correctly after cleaning etc. The Mk5 had a peg and slot arrangement (Peg in the body, slot on the barrel) which obviated the need for the alignment line of the Mk2.

I've got some dimensions to add to Grimeboxs photos.

height 17.5mm
    width 12.7mm
    thickness 4.6mm

Aperature to sight 3.2mm at rear
    Aperature to sight 7.9mm at front

Centre of aperature to top of sight 6.2mm

Locating peg looks to be about 3mm

There is a fine knurling to the rear sight at 90 degrees but I dont know how you could replicate that.

?

Thank you.

Will have a go at this in the new year,I have the right thickness steel in the shed.

Not sure about the knurling,Might have to either do this by hand,Fine file or give it a miss.

Gary

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I've got some dimensions to add to Grimeboxs photos.

height 17.5mm
    width 12.7mm
    thickness 4.6mm

Aperature to sight 3.2mm at rear
    Aperature to sight 7.9mm at front

Centre of aperature to top of sight 6.2mm

Locating peg looks to be about 3mm

There is a fine knurling to the rear sight at 90 degrees but I dont know how you could replicate that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast