Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help Authenticating this P38

Article about: Hello everyone. I'm interested in purchasing this P38. I've never owned one and I think he's asking a fair price (\\$550). I just wanted someone with more experience to offer up an opinion whe

Default Re: Need Help Authenticating this P38

Quote by octavian View Post
    From what i am seeing i dont see missing parts... Looks pretty straight forward to me.
    Sorry about the comment on the pics, didn't realize they were clickable. Looks pretty nice actually ;-)

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    To find another mag and holster can easily set you back $250, so there's that.
    An original mag will set you back about $100. or more alone, an early holster will set you back $250. on it's own.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    An original mag will set you back about $100. or more alone, an early holster will set you back $250. on it's own.
    Ralph.
    True maybe on the holster, but no need for an early holster, late war will be correct. I see them sell in the $150 price range once in a while on eBay, it's all a matter of looking for the right deal ;-)

Actually, the finish on this particular gun is not Bad at all for a "CYQ" Spreewerke. Keep in mind that they never left the factory in much better condition than this one is in, so you have to evaluate it from that standpoint. The bluing on it is pretty much intact and aside from the disturbing Grip damage(which can be easily swapped out) there really is not all that much wrong that I can see with this one. The photo's do not show a Magazine in it, however, and this is a considerable concern. As Mike said, does it Come with a clip and does the serial number on it match the gun? The spare clip should also be of period, as has been said. And, of course, a holster is absolutely needed.

I doubt that it is falling apart, despite the many times heard comments about how Spreewerke guns were virtually dangerous to shoot. I had one myself for quite a good many years and never once had a problem with it. There was always talk-even back then-about the firing pins crystallizing in them, but I never ran into such a thing on the ones that I examined. About the worst I ever found with them, was the lips of the magazine were sometimes sensitive and easily deformed if not careful, and thus would feed incorrectly. So...don't drop them on the cement, is all! lol But, bottom line being, for $550 dollars, I would want the 2 magazines and a decent holster to go with it(Hopefully with the 1st clip having a matching serial number to the gun).
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2