Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need Help Dating a Luger.

Article about: Hello all, I recently inherited a Luger that was brought back from WWII by my great uncle. It has several markings which should be visible in the picks below. It is either nickel or chrome p

Quote by MAP View Post
    What is the "RIF"?
    Rif Contract Pistols – Based on the notes of August Weiss, Hallock and van de Kant have also provided very strong evidence that the “blank toggle” or “sneak” DWM P08s were originally manufactured for the revolutionary Rif tribe in Morocco in about 1927 or 1928. These were not delivered to the Rif and were later sold to the German police (Ibid., p. 340). I know of no documentary evidence that these pistols were 9-mm caliber; however, the fact that they were intended for military use suggests they may have been.

?

So it is a DWM P08. I thought so, because of the waffenamt of WaA66 but drew a blank when there were no other markings.

That sure is a pimped out luger

Semper Fi
    Phil

Glad I was partially right about a few things. I am holding with my opinion on a put together with replacement toggle link. Serial numbers added at various points explaining why the fonts do not line up. DWM receiver re stamped at some point in its life with the strange Eagle H. A commercially produced DWM receiver with unknown barrel and toggle perhaps that was outfitted during the second war for further use. They stopped putting the Crown N marks on Lugers after 1940 I believe although it only appears on the toggle which may or may not have been replaced. I wish I could place the eagle stamp on the right side. It sort of looks like the early Mauser eagles but not stick figure enough with the rounded wing tops. Suppose some could have been lost in the refinishing process. Nice piece with some decent history behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2