Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

need help with firearm identification

Article about: The Japanese even had a training bayonet for these rifles as well... The Training rifle and training bayonet was a cottage industry program, designed to get everyone involved in the militari

Default Re: need help with firearm identification

The Japanese even had a training bayonet for these rifles as well... The Training rifle and training bayonet was a cottage industry program, designed to get everyone involved in the militaristic furvor of Imperial Japan.. They even had a 7/8 inch size childrens training rifle and bayonet... I have a few training rifles and bayonets in my collection hopefully one day I can get them out and post a few....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi ,
    nice rifle and as a gift it is well worth refurbing it, it look in good condition to. a good clean and oiling and it is nealy ready for display, i to have learned today that they did training rifles so you have started a good thread. We all have to start somewhere
    and i say if you dont know, ask a question. thanks for showin it and let us know how it goes.
    dave.

redrover44
    ?

thanks for all the awesome responses.. glad my lack of knowledge on this rifle was able to help others too.. i do have a question tho.. regarding the bolt, will a bolt from a standard type 38 fit? or do i have to find a training bolt to go with the gun? the only reason i ask is because i found the regular bolts on milsurp for about $25 but i also came across a "training" bolt on gunbroker for $100.. i cannot seem to determine any difference between the two.. any ideas??

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    There are many collectors that are on this forum because of it's friendly atmosphere, and it's outreach to collectors of all degrees of knowledge...I do not allow rudeness or flaming of others...This forum is for learning about various firearms and accessories, any question on any firearm etc, is not waisting any of our time...BILL
    Agree....100%

What The ....

Chill blackheart0866 he is new to the forum i was like that when i first joined gotta chill man you going to set your self up bad and rub people the wrong way m8 just chill out bud.

Yeah nice arisaka one of my fav rifles among the mosin nagant and the mauser.
    Gotta keep that clean bud

Alex

you tell him Bill well done.

Quote by redrover44 View Post
    thanks for all the awesome responses.. glad my lack of knowledge on this rifle was able to help others too.. i do have a question tho.. regarding the bolt, will a bolt from a standard type 38 fit? or do i have to find a training bolt to go with the gun? the only reason i ask is because i found the regular bolts on milsurp for about $25 but i also came across a "training" bolt on gunbroker for $100.. i cannot seem to determine any difference between the two.. any ideas??
    Hi Redrover, personally I would find the correct training bolt for your rifle. If you are patient, you might get one for a little less than $100. You can always email this seller you found, and ask if he will be willing to take less. They are an uncommon rifle, and will be worth more with the correct, albeit non matching number bolt. Be aware you might have to "fit" the bolt to the rifle, if it does not slide in properly.

I have heard the word "re-furbish" in this thread. My advice would be to to do NOTHING to rifle, EXCEPT cleaning it with a oily rag, and maybe if there is any active rust you can VERY carefully remove with 1000 steel wool. Then just clean and oil as you would any normal rifle. Do Not reblue or alter the rifle in any way. It will loose all of it's collector value.

Regards, Steve

partisan42
    ?

Quote by redrover44 View Post
    I would not pay $100 for a training rifle bolt. In my experience, that price is about what a nice complete Arisaka Training rifle is worth.

Quote by partisan42 View Post
    I would not pay $100 for a training rifle bolt. In my experience, that price is about what a nice complete Arisaka Training rifle is worth.
    I disagree, I think the trainers go for a bit more than $100 in todays market....even with the missing bolt. The condition of Redrovers rifle does not look to bad really, there is good bluing left it looks like, and the stock does not look damaged or too beat up. I think it's worth more than $100 for sure.

Redrover....Here is a web page that has all the different markings on the wood stocks or training rifles, and meaning of them. You can look through it and maybe find the markings that are stamped on your trainers butt

This section shows various train

Regards, Good luck what ever you decide to do......
    Steve

Thanks for the info on Japanese markings Steve. I will study them and see if I can find the marks on my Mosin Nagant.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast