Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a

Article about: Well, I finally pick up a Kar98a, I am happy with it but I need some help with some of the marking. It is stamped “ERFURT-1917 and it all so have 1920 (if I am right, 1920 mean that it was k

?

Default Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a

Well, I finally pick up a Kar98a, I am happy with it but I need some help with some of the marking. It is stamped “ERFURT-1917 and it all so have 1920 (if I am right, 1920 mean that it was kept in service after the war, right?) There are many Imperial marking and all numbers match. But their two marks which I can’t call. On the end of the bolt there are two marks (which I blown up) and a number on the top of the metal butt plate (S.B.15023.)Can anyone ID these marks?-thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a   Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a  

Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a  

ian
    ?

Default Re: Need help to ID marks on a Kar98a

the two marks APEAR? to be waffenamts no 655 which would be mauser , mabe mauser FTRd this rifle ? and odd that they are not anywhere els ,infact odd they are there at all , time for research i think ,cheers ian

G'day Georg
    This is what I can provide you about the 1920--
    The "1920" marking is not intended to be the actual issuance date a specific weapon; be it a rifle, pistol, or bayonet, entered service with the Reichswehr. It indicates official authorized use under the Treaty of Versailles. Consider it more of a "compliance" marking. We know the Reichswehr had restrictions on the type & number of weapons it could have in inventory. Undoubtedly as some arms were worn out, lost, rebuilt, etc. others were made to compensate, and received the "1920" compliance date. It is also evident the Germans had hundreds of thousands more weapons (possibly millions) than allowed, squirreled away throughout Germany in violation of the treaty. These weapons were what principally rearmed the new German armed forces in the early days of the Third Reich under Hitler.

ian
    ?

hi Rene that would explane the early waffenamts then cheers ian

S.B. 15023 = Schutzpolizei Berlin. Weapon 15023.

This is a post February 1932 marking.

Hope that adds to the picture.

Regards

Richie

WaA655 show the whole bolt,,, most likely a replaced part or a totally missmatched bolt out of a 98k....Richie is 100% on the money, Berlin Police, butt plate should be numbered to the weapon....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Can we see a pic of the whole rifle?