Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help to identify this weapon!

Article about: Could be a spotting rifle or a sub caliber trainer for a much bigger gun.

Default Re: Need help to identify this weapon!

Looks to me like a replacement barrel for an interwar light tank. I think that is a Weimar Republic eagle

It looks like a Mauser MG 131 or MG 151 type of cannon, the fixed type maybe? Calibres were respectively 13mm on the 131 and 15mm-20mm on the 151. The fixed type were electrically operated but had a cocking handle on top for emergency/servicing purposes, and I think that can be seen on the one above.

Proof marks are German. There appears to be a letter below the first eagle, and that will tell where the barrel was proofed.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That is not a mg08 aircraft mount. No matter what, the mg08 kept its general shape because of the watercool aspect of it.

Quote by Lockley16 View Post
    That is not a mg08 aircraft mount. No matter what, the mg08 kept its general shape because of the watercool aspect of it.
    Are you reffering to your own post #7? Or is it something else, as no-one has mentioned the Maxim design but you? I'm a bit confused.....
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by zwerge View Post
    This could be an internal wing-mounted MG for an airplane,just a guess.
    This is the one I was talking about big ned. Sorry, I don't know why I said mg08.

?

Thank you for all the reply's. Anybody who can say how much it can possibly be worth?

Quote by mwallo View Post
    Thank you for all the reply's. Anybody who can say how much it can possibly be worth?
    Haven't a clue I'm afraid old bean....(apologies if you're Mexican.)

Un saludo cordial, Ned.

Ya, neither do I. I have never seen that before. Mwallo, send an email to this museum, The National WWII Museum | New Orleans , I have done it before and gotten something authenticated. Also send this one an email (they will do the same thing, just write the emails nicely), Eldred World War II Museum , during wwii these guys were an ammo maker for the us.

The non Nazi proof marks were used after their rise to power-were not replaced till the mid/late 1930s-the carrying case is very strange-not something you would expect to see for a fixed mount weapon (a crate box would be usual for those) unless it was made by the new owner post war-need to know the calibre to have an idea of what it is.

?

looks like the cal is 7.93 not very big.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast