Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help with this Mauser

Article about: Hello Lads, This is the last of my four new aditions. I need help with this one. It was a G98 by the looks of it and has been modified to a shorter version. It has Imperial Markings and is m

Default Need Help with this Mauser

Hello Lads,
    This is the last of my four new aditions.
    I need help with this one. It was a G98 by the looks of it and has been modified to a shorter version.

It has Imperial Markings and is mrked bnz. It also has waffen stamps on it.
    The bolt has been turned down and there are four holes drilled in to the top of the bolt housing suggesting a scope had been fitted, which would explain the turned down bolt but there is not a cut away for the bolt.

Any Ideas would help me with this one a lot. Was it a sniper rifle????

Regards

Paratrooper
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help with this Mauser   Need Help with this Mauser  

Need Help with this Mauser   Need Help with this Mauser  

Need Help with this Mauser  

Default Re: Need Help with this Mauser

Your Mausers receiver appears to be manufactued by Steyer Damlier Puch hence the BNZ code on receiver. The barrel however appears to be made at a different manufacturer however from the numbers on the barrel. If World War 2 the year of manufacturer should also be stamped on receiver below BNZ. Rifle stock appears to be of World War 1 vintage. As you said bolt turned down to accomodate scope. Hope this helps some

I remember years ago seeing gunsmiths advertising to heat and turn down the bolt on military rifles to make hunting weapons with scopes out of them. I never quite understood who would want to carry a half a ton of old clunky military rifle out hunting in the woods, but folks used to do just that, I guess.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'd say that this Mauser was sporterised at some point following the war for hunting or target shooting, then someone decided to remove the scope mounts and fitted an un-altered stock to it in order to make it slightly more original...

Thanks

Danny

why in the heck would thay do that to the mauser ,,there gos the value down the hill

?

Quote by sniperjohn View Post
    why in the heck would thay do that to the mauser ,,there gos the value down the hill
    Many many many K98 bring back rifles were sporterized as a means to make an affordable hunting rifle in the years following WWII.
    As to why someone would want to change a cheap hunting rifle into a more valuable looking 'original' military/sniper rifle........., well.......

yea scout theres lots over here you see them on gunbroker and texasguntrader.com,,i had the sporterize ones loce the org ones

oooopps love the org ones