Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

A new Mg08/15 aquisition.

Article about: I couldn't make my mind up where to post this one really. The truth is that the Mg really is a 'new' acquisition. The gun is one of a batch of about 15 which were built in Germany around 201

Default A new Mg08/15 aquisition.

I couldn't make my mind up where to post this one really. The truth is that the Mg really is a 'new' acquisition. The gun is one of a batch of about 15 which were built in Germany around 2014, or a little earlier. It measures exactly the same as the original and is (almost) identical to the original in every way. It weighs in at almost 40lb with the bipod, and every metal part is either machined or fabricated steel. There are no internals, but I believe that some were originally intended to accept the gas units for simulated fire. I first came across these several years ago on the website of zib Militaria in Germany, and they also did a small batch of Chauchat's - one of which was recently sold by Regimentals for £1,200 - although zib were selling them for about 645 euro's, the 08/15's retailed at about 745 euro's.

I was after one of these the very first time I saw a picture of the guns lined up when they were part-assembled, even then you could see that they had a certain amount of quality to them. I came upon this one purely by chance the other day on the website of a dealer in the Midlands. All the 08/15's in the production run bear the same serial number of 452. The steel has a slightly textured feel to it, and my intention is to (eventually) strip the gun as far as I can and go over the surface with wet and dry lubricated with 3-in-1 oil to give a smooth polished surface; which will then be re-blued and given a 'worn' finish. The woodwork will be replaced with walnut, and I might carry out other mods where parts can be slightly improved. In my opinion though, it is already probably the best reproduction of the heaviest light machine gun ever produced. A collector-friend of mine called around this morning while I was taking the pictures, and he was completely taken in by the gun. He really thought that it was genuine.

Cheers,
    Steve.

A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.

?

It is a good looking replica.

MAP
    ?

Awesome piece!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes really nice and could be the way ahead as far as collecting rare weapons goes

It looks as though I have found where the top cover-plate markings were copied from!

A new Mg08/15 aquisition.A new Mg08/15 aquisition.