Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!

Article about: very nice webley looks amazing even if it is converted nice pickup thanks for sharing brilliant info rambob tom

?

Default A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!

Many moons ago I bought this Webley Mark VI revolver dated 1917 at a local gun show. The condition is virtually mint, with the exception that the cylinder has been turned down in the past to accept .45 ACP cartridges in half moon clips. A large number of these revolvers were imported into the US in basically mint condition, but because the British .455 round was very scarce, another source of ammo for these revolvers had to be found. By removing the cylinder and turning it down on a lathe, enough metal would be removed from the back of the cylinder to allow .45 ammo in half moon clips to be used in the revolver. Of course the bummer is that that the original, serial numbered cylinder is now modified and the revolver can not use original British .455 any more.

The accessory picture shows among other things, two original ammo packets, plus two Canadian and one British WWII dated holsters. I also added a picture of the revolver in an original British shoulder holster.

A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!

?

Default Re: A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!

VERY NICE WEBLEY AND ACCESSERIE'S

Regards Mark K

Default Re: A nice 1917 dated, Webley Mark VI, top break revolver, but with turned down cylinder. Boo Hoo!

Hey Bob,
    Nice addition, remember that it is unsafe to fire .45 ACP in the Webely, as the pressures are too high, I have seen several photos of these revolvers that have come apart.
    Best
    Gus

?

Nice Webley!! I have a .38 MK IV as well as an assortment of Canadian P-37 kit for mine as well, including a cut down tanker's leg holster. I'll post some photos.

Again, nice Webley

Very nice revolver, and assorted kit.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Excellent Webley and rig...
    I have a question though...Isn't the .45 ACP a little hotter than the .455 REV ?
    Of course i have read about this conv. a million times, but...
    Take care...Thanos.

?

I found this comment on another forum. By the numbers, it would seem you do not want to use full factory loaded .45 ACP ammo in these revolvers for very long.

"Standard-pressure .45 ACP is 21000 PSI while the pressure of .455 Webley is 12600 PSI and the proof pressure of a Webley Mark VI is 6 long tons per square inch - 13440 PSI.

Handloading .45 ACP or Auto Rim cases would be a safer option if you have a converted revolver. They are very stout and will hold up to .45 ACP abuse for a while, but not forever. Hollow base bullets work best in these guns."

You could never tell from the photos your webley was shaved.

I have a Mk1 also with a turned down cylinder, I have shot reduced 45acp loads in it and it seems happy. I have 45 autorim cases but have not located a shell holder as yet.

Here's a pic of my old girl...

Quote by rambob View Post
    The accessory picture shows among other things, two original ammo packets, plus two Canadian and one British WWII dated holsters. I also added a picture of the revolver in an original British shoulder holster.
    Lovely Webley Six, even if it is modified. There is something about the look of Webley pistols that, for me, sets them apart from the rest. I have a nice deactivated example, but yours is nicer.

One question though, are you sure that is actually a British shoulder holster? It looks like a standard issue waistbelt holster to me, and I wasn't aware that the British Army ever actually had a shoulder holster. What is on the back? (if you don't mind me asking).

Rob

Quote by rambob View Post
    I found this comment on another forum. By the numbers, it would seem you do not want to use full factory loaded .45 ACP ammo in these revolvers for very long.

"Standard-pressure .45 ACP is 21000 PSI while the pressure of .455 Webley is 12600 PSI and the proof pressure of a Webley Mark VI is 6 long tons per square inch - 13440 PSI.

Handloading .45 ACP or Auto Rim cases would be a safer option if you have a converted revolver. They are very stout and will hold up to .45 ACP abuse for a while, but not forever. Hollow base bullets work best in these guns."
    That makes sense...
    Take care...Thanos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast