Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

No 4 Mk 1, ID.

Article about: Hi, This weekend i picked up two nice ww1 post cards and this .303, at first i thought is was a Savage issue, but on inspection im not sure. There is no S, plus any other name markings, No d

Default No 4 Mk 1, ID.

Hi,
    This weekend i picked up two nice ww1 post cards and this .303, at first i thought is was a Savage issue, but on inspection im not sure. There is no S, plus any other name markings, No date stamp only a jumble for Ser, No,s as shown i have,nt done anything to it as yet ie strip and clean. It will have to be stripped to the bone
    as it is quite a state, If anyone could help ID this rifle i would be obliged i know how you guy,s like a puzzle so here you go. i would like it to be a Savage but just hopping.
    Dave.
    ps, Yes i do know it has the wrong mag on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No 4 Mk 1, ID.   No 4 Mk 1, ID.  

No 4 Mk 1, ID.   No 4 Mk 1, ID.  

Last edited by Panzer 3; 02-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Default Re: No 4 Mk 1, ID.

Hi,
    anyone got any ideas please.
    Dave.

Hi,
    your rifle is not a Savage made gun, they made only a very small number of No4 Mk1 rifles and many of these were turned into sniper rifles.I'm fairly sure your's was made at the Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerly.Nearly all Savage guns have
    US PROPERTY stamped on the receiver side and are No4 MK1* riles without the bolt release catch.
    Pete.

The proof on the action body looks like a Canadian Longbranch type but thats the wrong position for it-the factory marking is missing-should be around the model designation and the serial number is a mess-that should also tell you the factory-I'm thinking it may be a 'Khyber Pass special' made up from new made and used parts.

I read it as:

ROF (maker)
    42 (year)
    V27427A (serial no)

with a "1 2" and a "4" misstamping of the serial no and date respectively, or maybe a series of 42s?. Standard markings but a bit of a mess.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 02-26-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Hi
    thanks for all your replies, i am a bit lost with this one as iv not seen this on any rifle i own, i took it as a Savage as it has the four rebate lines in the top rail. But i dont mind it not being a Savage either, i have found a few 'F' prefix
    on it so it might be Fazakerley.
    thanks Dave,

4md
    ?

I agree it looks like a kyber pass special the stamping is very rough