Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nock Volley Gun

Article about: I know this is not WW1 or 2 related but still, pretty interesting. A British .52 cal. 7 shot (at once) Volley Gun. 18th Century. It was supposed to be used in the high rigging in sea battles

Default Nock Volley Gun

I know this is not WW1 or 2 related but still, pretty interesting. A British .52 cal. 7 shot (at once) Volley Gun. 18th Century. It was supposed to be used in the high rigging in sea battles. It wasn't a popular gun for anyone who shot it which would be quite evident.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nock Volley Gun  

?

Default Re: Nock Volley Gun

Cool gun. I think it was less popular with the guy who got hit by it.

Gary

?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    I know this is not WW1 or 2 related but still, pretty interesting. A British .52 cal. 7 shot (at once) Volley Gun. 18th Century. It was supposed to be used in the high rigging in sea battles. It wasn't a popular gun for anyone who shot it which would be quite evident.
    As used by Sgt Harper in the Sharpe series!!!

It also looks like the Volley gun used by Jim Bowie (Richard Widmark) in the movie (Alamo)....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Guys,

All answers are correct. The Nock volley gun was produced in low numbers (635) in the 1780's-90's for the Royal Navy.

The six outer barrels were plugged at the breach end and had holes drilled through the sides that aligned with the central barrel which was fixed on a central spigot. When the flintlock mechanism was fired, it set off the central barrel charge which initiated the other barrels so that all seven discharged more or less together. The weapons calibre was .54, and as such would have a devastating effect on any ships boarding party!

There were inherant problems with the gun however. It was very heavy for men of that time to wield effectively due to their smaller stature, indeed, it was not uncommon for the users shoulder to be smashed whilst firing the piece. Furthermore, it was also unpopular with officers as it would often set fire to sails and rigging. For these reasons and others, the Nock volley gun was quietly retired from the service by 1804.

Today, these weapons are very rare, i think there's one in York museum, but i was lucky enough to see one at an antique firearms dealership in Hereford last year, a snip at 35,000 pounds!!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Good info there Big Ned. And Bill, It flashed through my mind when I read your post about 'The Alamo'!

I was lucky enough to hold Harper's Volley gun used in the original Sharpe TV series a couple of years ago. very heavy, but a fantastic piece of kit.
    wouldnt like to have to fire one whilst hanging onto the rigging of a ship though.......

Lucky you! Some of us only get to look at the photo's sometimes.