Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Non-blued PPSh-41

Article about: I agree with the comments on a good course of action given the current laws. It is the laws themselves that drive me up onto the soap-box. Do we think the criminals do not have the latest AK

?

Default Re: Non-blued PPSh-41

I agree with the comments on a good course of action given the current laws. It is the laws themselves that drive me up onto the soap-box.

Do we think the criminals do not have the latest AK-100 series weapons? That ИЖМАШ and the military keep perfect inventory control? Or that charming examples of modern Germanic designs are not "imported"?

It is just regular people without unlimited money, legal and patriotic people who seek to help preserve history, who are pressurized.

- Frayer

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    These guns have all come out of the Ukrainian salt mine hoard and have, like all the other items there, been arsenal refurbished in the 1960's/1970's. I am certain they bear the usual refurb marks.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade, is this the case with all Ryton's Soviet stock? It sounds like an unusual palce to store weapons. I'm considering buying a Mosin Nagant from them, and possibly replacing my TT-33- it's interesting to know where these things come from. Being from such storages, is it possible that some of these deacs might have seen action? I know my AKM definitely seems to indicate so.

Hi Mat, yes all of Ryton's stock came from the one site. Tony told me a few stories about the place. Much of the kit saw action. Just being rebuilt/refurbished it is now hard to say for sure. The German stuff they sell is all captured on the Russian Front and then rebuilt by the Soviets. The idea was this older gear was intended for emergency use in WW3.

Cheers, Ade.

Imagining Russian civillians being called to arms, women and children defending towns with PPSh-41s... it's strange to think about, but going by WW2, I dont think it would be far from the reality. However, with the world possessing nuclear weapons, I don't think WW3 would have time to even come to that.

Tony told me that his Thompson came from that same mine and all the ones I saw were either in New (Never used) condition or refurbed condition with new Gray parkerizing (Not the orignal type though).

I always thought it was interesting that the Russians were given supplies of Thompsons, considering rate of production of their own SMGs was supposed to be high, especially for the PPS-43.

I suspect most of the Thompsons were actually part of the full equipement schedule given with the US tanks which were supplied as Lend Lease.

Cheers, Ade.

It would be interesting to hear what soldiers thought of them compared to their standard issue SMGs. I remember reading that many used lend-lease equipment begrudgingly, considering their origin.

Many Soviet soldiers preferred their own equipment as a matter of familiarity and sometimes quality. To wit: The M4 Sherman was disliked because it easily caught fire when hit.

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Many Soviet soldiers preferred their own equipment as a matter of familiarity and sometimes quality. To wit: The M4 Sherman was disliked because it easily caught fire when hit.
    Yeah, the 'Tommy cooker'... never a good reputation for a tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast