Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Oddity about Mauser 1914

Article about: Hello, I have what I believe to be a Mauser 1914, but the serial number is 23. From everything I've read, that should then be a 1910 and not a 7.65mm, which this is. Any help identifying the

?

Default Oddity about Mauser 1914

Hello,

I have what I believe to be a Mauser 1914, but the serial number is 23. From everything I've read, that should then be a 1910 and not a 7.65mm, which this is. Any help identifying the history of this would be greatly appreciated.

Oddity about Mauser 1914Oddity about Mauser 1914Oddity about Mauser 1914Oddity about Mauser 1914Oddity about Mauser 1914Oddity about Mauser 1914

I noticed some of the wording has an "X" over it, but the number "23" is consistent across all parts.

Thank you,
    Steve

Default Re: Oddity about Mauser 1914

Though not an expert on 1910 Mauser pistols, my best guess is that the x'd .23. (No. of gun to the Unit) together with the other (military?) Unit letters K.D. II. (Cavalry Division II ?) have nothing to do with the serial no. of the gun which happens to be 23!!!. X'ing the Unit no. to reasign the pistol to another Army or Police Unit was a common practice after WWI in Germany...Maybe another knowledgeable Forum member can be more of a help...
    Best regards, Thanos.
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 07-09-2012 at 11:23 AM.

It could either be a reissue between the German branches, or maybe a Russian capture?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

'23' may just be the unit rack number, not a serial no.-pinged unit ID may mean it was sold out of service as no other unit marks replaced it.

?

Thank you for the information.

I do know that my grandfather brought it back from the war, so I don't expect that it was circulated post war. The interesting thing is that the number "23" is consistently in the same place that serial numbers should be.

The struck out marking represents Polizei-Prasidium Elberfeld-Barmen. These cities near Dusseldorf were merged in 1929 and then became known as Wuppertal in 1930.

Other pistols with the same police markings have the serial numbers matching the property numbers - as yours does.

This may indicate that they were part of a special contract.

The other mark K.D. II. represents Kriminalpoizei (or Kripo) Dusselfdorf.

Source:History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings1900-1936 by Don Maus.

Hope that helps

Regards

Richie

?

Thank you for the great info, I will have to read up on it.