Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old percussion musket

Article about: hi, as said in my other post on the pocket pistol i was offered an old musket, so i thought i would have it as a project to do up. I got this today it is in a bit of a state as someone many

Default Old percussion musket

hi,
    as said in my other post on the pocket pistol i was offered an old musket, so i thought i would have it as a project to do up. I got this today it is in a bit of a state as someone many years ago covered it in that old shallack varnish and put it on quite thick, i am going to strip it but saw some numbers on the butt so thought i would take a look at them.
    they are on the cheek side of the butt and read X V 11 87 then lower are initials H P R, the 11 are like the roman 2, i thought at first it may be a military musket but there are no markings on the side plate, any thought would be appreciated. It is 54 1/2" long, Old percussion musketOld percussion musket
    Dave.

Default Re: Old percussion musket

hmmm neat musket dosent look american to me most likely from europe

Ww2relichunter - please can you decide what your area of speciality is and limit your identifications to that area. So far today I have had to correct two of your identifications, both to do with ordnance, both very badly wrong and misleading. I note from your profile that you are replying to threads today ranging from ww1 German badges to 1800 muskets. We all have our areas of expertise, and not one person on this or any other forum can say they know everything about everything, as your posts seem to suggest you think you do. I would respectfully request you limit your replies to threads that pertain to your area of speciality or knowledge. You have already shown that it certainly isn't ordnance, so please decide what your speciality is and stick to it. Don't get me wrong, I don't at all mind replies such as 'lovely looking musket' or 'nice shell case', but do mind the incorrect identifications on items you know nothing about.

This forum prides itself on giving the right advice and identifications at the right time, and we won't have that reputation tarnished.

Hey Dave.

Lovely looking musket.
    I have a couple of old remade flintlock muskets and percussion muskets in my collection, although I have never seen a musket like yours before.

What springs to mind, is the very "hunting" like looks to it - the absence of means to attach a bayonet.

I would say an old military musket, sold and remade into a hunting musket. It is seen in all countries across Europa, that military muskets were remade into hunting weapons by cutting a bit of the woodwork off to lighten the weapon.

Hopefully someone else on the forum, knows the exact name of this type of musket, and who made it.

?

Hi Dave,there should be proofs on the barrel,if you take it apart there should be more proofs underneath,I have a good book on proofmarks so maybe I can help......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi Pete & 37,
    Thanks for the comments this is the first musket iv picked up for collecting so dont have a lot of info on it, i can see that a lot of old military weapons do get re-modeled into hunters even these days and have seen many W.W.1-2 have gone through that. so this may not be any different, I havent stripped or cleaned it yet so looking forward to finding any marks on it, i got it as a project to restore as i would like it to look better than it is now. If i find any markings i will let you all know, thanks for the info so far.
    Dave,

Hello Dave,
    I've also started adding more percussion weapons to the collection but due to severe lack of space I'm only working with pistols at present. They can be found fairly cheaply and it's fun to carefully dismantle them for gentle cleaning and restoration when necessary. Parts can usually be found in my friendly gunsmiths junk box and springs can be made or cut down to fit from old ones, back to the dealers junk box! A useful tip which I expect you know; If it's seized solid submerge in wd 40 or more cheaply, paraffin. I had a Queen Anne cannon barrel pistol in appalling condition and the barrel would not budge. I put it in a bucket with WD 40 for a fortnight after which it turned off with no trouble at all, best of all no damage.
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi Dave,there should be proofs on the barrel,if you take it apart there should be more proofs underneath,I have a good book on proofmarks so maybe I can help......Pete.
    Hello Pete,
    Please would you let me know the name of your proofmark book, (ISBN number)?, It would be very helpful to me. What period does it cover?
    kind regards,
    Guy.

?

Hi Guy,here`s the book,it covers all countries from 1870,but some of the proofs shown are a lot older as marked with dates......Pete. They are not photos but drawings of the proofs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old percussion musket   Old percussion musket  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

By all means, post the proofmarks if possible, they are usually seen on the breech of the barrel just above the wood line on the left side of the barrel. You may find your proofmarks on this site:

Firearm Proof Marks, Arsenal & Inspector Marks

They are listed by country.

Your musket appears to have been one of the variants of the British P53 Rifle Musket with possible (probable?) modifications in it's post military service. For help in identification there are several good books on British soldier's firearms available but this site will help if you check it. Look under "Enfield" in the various headings on the left:

Enfield-Snider.Com

The heading "Markings" may also help. Good luck and good hunting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast