Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Sporterized K98

Article about: by panzerjaeger44 yeah the butt looks like it needs some nice padding thats for sure but as a shooter its a nice piece i wish i could own it myself but wifey doesnt like firearms The kick is

?

Default Opinions on Sporterized K98

A friend of mine is looking to sell this sporterized K98 with all matching serial numbers. I believe it has had some gunsmithing performed on it but I am not 100% sure. My main concern is the lack of the ladder sight and the holes drilled to fit the modern scope.

Would the lack of a ladder sight mean this was originally constructed as a sniper rifle and the holes the modern scope are fitted into are original? There doesn’t seem to be any remnants of the ladder sight. Also, the bolt and shell extractor are not blued? Could this have been done when it was sporterized?

My plan was to purchase this and replace the stock with the one on my current K98, which does not have matching serial numbers. I would then sell my current K98 with the sporterized stock to offset some of the cost of purchasing this new rifle.

Purchase price with the scope (which I would also sell) is around $200. Wise decision or should I hold on to my current rifle? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Sporterized K98   Opinions on Sporterized K98  

Opinions on Sporterized K98   Opinions on Sporterized K98  

Default Re: Opinions on Sporterized K98

If you like a proterized Mauser, buy it. But, I would never want to take a military rifle even with mismatched serial numbers and try to put it together with a ex sporterized one. I know collectors (which most of us are here anyway) like matched numbers, but it is always possible the a mismatched numbered rifle came into that mismatch ligitimately! Rifles are broken and damaged, and an armoury is not about to toss a rifle away simply becasue some soldier might object to a rifle with mismatched numbers!

Keep the mil issue theway it is, cherish it and save to buy a matched number original. (remembering that many German weapons were not uniquely nummbered, so there can be lots of XXXXXi or what ever rifles out there!)
    Jagdhorn

?

The mismatched K98 I currently have is a Russian capture. At the end of the war, the Russians took out the shell extractor and threw them into piles. When it came time to sell the the surplus, they just threw the rifles together and stenciled on the serial numbers to match. Or at least this is how I understand it happened. And while this does add history, Russian captured K98's are a dime a dozen whereas a K98 with matching serial numbers is not. Mine still would not be completely matching as the SN's on the bands would differ, but I could live with that.

With that said, I'm fairly confident the rifle I currently have was just a throw together and not reworked during war time. So placing an original stock on the rifle above would actually bring it back to it's original correct configuration more so than my current one.

My main concern is, has the above rifle had too much gunsmithing done to it?

Hi Eric, by all means, do what makes you happy, but this rifle has had quite a bit of work done to it. The most distracting is the chromed bolt. It now looks like a post-war knockoff M-48 (think Mitchell's Mausers). As you mentioned, you must replace the front and rear sights. If it was me, I would sell the one I have now, save up a few hundred more and then buy a true all matching 98. Just my humble opinion. Whatever you do, I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

Take care,
    Jay

eric ... i see you are in pennsylvania ... you mentioned selling your mis matched rifle and scope ... i would be interested in buying both ... if we can agree on a price ... what part of pa are you in ?? im close to allentown

well at 200 bux its still a good buy!!!

I agree with you 100% Panzer. It is a good "shooter" at a good price, but as a collector, I personally would much rather have the mixed 98. You could kill anything in North America with this rifle. Including your shoulder. Whatever floats your boat!

Take care,
    Jay

I would keep the rifle you already have and save up until you can find a nice one. Then sell it. I've seen cheap ones with matchings #s and no post war crap at gun shows by me for 300 dollars.

?

Thanks for all of your input, guys! I was so focused the scope mounts, bolt and rear sight, I completely missed the lack of the front sight! Stoopid me!

The gun isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I may hold off and save up to buy it and keep both rifles. I can use this as a nice range rifle (not a hunter) as I retired my current K98 but still have a bunch of surplus ammo left over.

In addition, my buddy has a Browning M1922 that I'm very interested in and will probably just purchase that now instead.

Dave, I live in the suburbs of Philly; Hatboro to be exact. If I ever do sell, I'll be sure to give you first stab at purchasing. Although, if you're in the market for a decent priced K98 with or without matching serial numbers, there is a shop in Green Lane, PA about 40 minutes from you called Seneca Arms. They carry quite a selection of other military rifles as well. Worth checking out, although I'm sure being from Allentown there's quite a few shops near you as well.

Thanks again, all!
    Last edited by Masonk; 08-20-2010 at 03:14 PM.

yeah the butt looks like it needs some nice padding thats for sure but as a shooter its a nice piece i wish i could own it myself but wifey doesnt like firearms

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast