Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)

Article about: You could try writing to the Leeds Armoury, i believe they have original technical drawings, that were produced in the Cheshunt offices and tech design shop before being passed to Lee Enfiel

Default Re: Original literature for Sten Submachine Gun. (Help with a 3D model)

Quote by Ashleigh M W View Post
    I am only limited by time and my lack of skill in certain areas of 3D modelling which makes some things tricky!
    Are you joking? 'Lack of Skill', it dosnt look like your short of skill from where im sat.

?

Quote by Ashleigh M W View Post
    Thanks Mick,

This is a personal project which I'm just spending little bits of time on here and there so it can be as accurate as I would like it to be. Making it accurate is all part of the fun though so I am more than happy to listen to any further comments. I am only limited by time and my lack of skill in certain areas of 3D modelling which makes some things tricky!
    A couple of the magwell details are not quite correct. The mag catch retainer should fill the entire inside wall of the magwell. The barrel nut ratchet is the wrong shape, and tt should not lie flat against the receiver. It pivots on the end of the slot which allows it to be withdrawn to unscrew the barrel, and is forced downwards at the tip by the plunger spring. I also did not notice the plunger lug which is welded to the front of the magwell.

Please don't get the impression that I'm an anorak, I only know as I make stens for a living

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Are you joking? 'Lack of Skill', it dosnt look like your short of skill from where im sat.
    Thanks mate, still have a lot to learn though.

Quote by Mick View Post
    A couple of the magwell details are not quite correct. The mag catch retainer should fill the entire inside wall of the magwell. The barrel nut ratchet is the wrong shape, and tt should not lie flat against the receiver. It pivots on the end of the slot which allows it to be withdrawn to unscrew the barrel, and is forced downwards at the tip by the plunger spring. I also did not notice the plunger lug which is welded to the front of the magwell.

Please don't get the impression that I'm an anorak, I only know as I make stens for a living
    Thanks for the info Mick! Not an anorak at all, the attention to detail is important and I will take a look those points asap. You make Stens for a living? That certainly sounds interesting, I have never even picked up a Sten Gun!

?

Yes I make them for a living, that and other gun related things.

Here's a couple of magwell pics....

Last edited by Mick; 01-15-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Thats some nice welding, better than the original.

?

When they made them in England they were under pressure, so it's understandable. The Canadian Longbranch stens were more refined with the welds ground down etc. The magwell below is going on a reactivated deactivated Longbranch MkII sten.

Mick,

Thanks so much mate for posting the pics, I think I have a better understanding of the details you mentioned now. Your a lucky guy handling original items like that, the closest I get is a 3D model

Ash

?

You're very welcome Ash.

If you want to work with guns what's stopping you ?

Here's a pic showing the mag catch retainer.........

Ps it also shows the slot in the front of the magwell that the barrel retainer sides in.

Mick,

Another really helpful pic, thanks again! I live in the UK so I would imagine working with firearms is a difficult thing for the layman to get into! I am certainly interested in the historical aspects of these weapons though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast