Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.

Article about: This is a so called Muff pistol set, also called travelling pistol or " reise pistole" Muffs are handwarmers mostly used on coaches. Cocking it makes the trigger comes out of the p

?

Default Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.

This is a so called Muff pistol set, also called travelling pistol or " reise pistole"
    Muffs are handwarmers mostly used on coaches.
    Cocking it makes the trigger comes out of the pistol and makes it ready to shoot.
    Its hidden while carried, so that drawing is easy and you will not have the trigger stick to anything.
    The barrels still got their Original brown finish, this is the deLuxe version with gold inlay.
    Its all over hand engraved, and has beautiful ebony grips.
    Mostly made between 1775-1850, this one can be dated +/- 1810-40
    It is most likely a .44 caliber set (they usually are between .42--->.45)
    The set has a silver powderhorn and the cap is used for the right amount of powder.
    The tool is made for unscrewing the barrel when it needs maintance and for oushing the bullit in the barrel and for making new bullits.
    Complete sets like this one are hard to find and needles to say also expensive.
    Unfortunate most sets are not signed so i dont know which maker produced it, although this lid on the inside still bears the ghost of the makers logo, i think its a Crown with on the left a G
    Its most likely a Belgium crown, but similar set are also made in French, but then the crown would not be there as they were a republic at that time already.
    I cant figger out the proofing marks on the barrel & chamber, but one looks like the preliminar proofing of Belgium.
    Please if anyone can contribute or add info regarding this set, be my gues
    Enjoy the pics.
    Regards,
    Ger
    Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.Percussion Muff pistol set cased .44 cal.t!!

A nice little pistols. Lucky to have found any markings
    on them at all. I suppose it's possible that the
    numbers are to keep each pistol together as
    a set, and not have interchangeable parts ?
    Are they a sequentially numbered pair ?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

There is more than one definition of "muff" you know.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    A nice little pistols. Lucky to have found any markings
    on them at all. I suppose it's possible that the
    numbers are to keep each pistol together as
    a set, and not have interchangeable parts ?
    Are they a sequentially numbered pair ?
    Hi Steve,

although it looks like they are numbered 31 & 32, in fact they are not.
    What looks like a 3 is a proofing firing mark, the 1 and 2 mean they are numbers 1 & 2 of this set and belong together.
    Each barrel was tested before buiding the gun ( saved in a lot of cases a lot of work when the barrel didnt stand the test.
    After that the pistol had a total firing test and passing it would result in a proofing stamp on the chamber/pistol.
    That why the "3" is on boths guns on the barrel and on the gun itself.

Regards,
    Ger

- - ------- - -

Quote by SteveR View Post
    There is more than one definition of "muff" you know.
    hmmmm.....indeed a save hiding place Steve

Great looking pistols!...

?

Something different Mr H... I haven't seen or heard of these pistols before so always nice to see something different.. Cheers Terry.

The guys who do the appraising on TV shows like "The Pawn Stars", would one of them be a reliable source for information, I wonder. They seem to know so much about a truly wide range of handguns and rifles.

?

I found a set thats looks a lot like mine that also gives some info perhaps maker initials? GW
    Just double click the advertisement picture then the tekst is readable.
    Regards,
    Ger

these are cool Ger..I would hate to get hit with the size shot that would fit into this pistol..then again..I would not be able to hate anything either as i would be dead anyway Interesting feature on the bottom of both grips....being noticed out. What is that for? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry those are single shot pistols, when that 1st shot wouldnt take your attacker down you take the pistol by its barrel in your hand and start hitting LOL
    Thats why the grips have a full steel gripplate

Regards,
    Ger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast