Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?

Article about: Hi All, Nice photos & nice K98. Some pics from my collection. Unfortunately only 50% have matching numbers. Best regards from Alsace , France. Carfin.

Default Re: Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?

I'm not saying it is odd, i just have not seen many of them. And in terms of the i marking what makes it a non german i? what else would it be?

?

German military small arms of both world wars with a few exceptions were serialed in 10,000 peice lots by the alpha suffix. 1a through 10000a for example. Mauser and bruno did do things a bit differently later in the war regarding serialing.

Hi Ollie,

Nice "Gewehr", I according with "gew98", the "i" stamp in the stock looks as a restamping. But for me the "5" on the front band looks good.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Thanks Carfin. To me the 500 on the front band looks to just be a 'messy' stamp and not an over stamp. The I does look to be an overstamp but i cant understand why this would have been done?

Ollie

?

Quote by olliecw View Post
    . The I does look to be an overstamp but i cant understand why this would have been done?

Ollie
    Ollie ; The 'i' is not just the only overstamp. Look at the serials applied in the wood as well. There are apparent vestiges of serials that have been partially scrubbed and overstamped. At one time I was deep into collecting 98k's , until two things finally struck me... # 1 the increasing amount of closet nazis in the hobby , # 2 the amazing amount of fraud/fake weapons and the like foisted upon collectors and novices alike. I have for two decades plus witnessed many fine and many junk german WW2 era weapons that have been 'enhanced' for the almighty buck and or ego(s).
    I used to go to shows and helped anyone whom asked to look over a potential buy or one they did buy. More and more too many simply refused to accept that their having spent thousands of bucks on an item from "allegedly" respected dealers was a bust. It got to the point they would argue with me and I'd have to tell them why did you even bother ask me you jacka$$. I've seen more than one collection of fake humped up rifles/pistols and the laughs some of these goobers got when they tried to sell or trade their doctored with items. I rarely ever bother helping "them" anymore as most are too blind to ever care to see.

Very well put Gew98. I am sure some refuse to admit they've been had. Think I will be satisfied with my father-in-laws bring back. At least I know that this is one Kar98 that has not been messed with. Best wishes.

Here is my latest addition
    BCD 4, non-import marked not a russian caputure.
    Some of the photos got blurry. Like of the floor plate serial number.

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?   Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?   Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?   Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

Does anyone know what the "VA" barrel marking means or what subcontractor it was?
    I found a BCD 4 with a VA barrel.

I couldn't find anything on VA...

Hi Cody,

Sorry but I find nothing, till now, about the "VA" marking .
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25