Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?

Article about: Hi All, Nice photos & nice K98. Some pics from my collection. Unfortunately only 50% have matching numbers. Best regards from Alsace , France. Carfin.

Grumpy
    ?

Default Re: Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?

Hay Woody,

I suppose it would depend on how much of a purest you are. You haven't mentioned what condition the barrel is nor the action. Does it shoot straight? Does the action work properly? If those factors are satisfactory lets get to the stock.

Cracks are from age and use. Chips are from age and use plus history. Chips are not a problem. If the cracks hamper, fit form or function then you have to look into your financial means and get a new/better/ remanufactured stock or carve your own. You have a templet to do so.

All of this is predicated on if the mechanics work properly. All else conserned disassemble the weapon and sand the heck out of the stock, don't worry about the chips, clean it up good. Put a good protective coating on it, let it cure for a few days. Put it all together go out and have some fun.

If you only want it as a colector item, Clean it up oil it up and put it over your hearth.

Me? If I buy it I want to shoot it. Granted I want to keep an item as origimal as is possable, IE, with the chips & cracks. But if I can't use it, it's not worth it. That's my take on the matter. I know there may be more qulified posters here to guide you. But Fit Form Function, does it shoot straight are my guide lines. And yes I have refurbished a stock or 2.

Hope this helped in some way. Food for thought at least I hope.

Good Day Woody,
    Grumpy.

hi guys

didnt see any k98 from 1935 so here is mine
    hope you like it
    97% matching numbers and has its original blue
    unfortunalty its a decoration item now

cheerio

oh for the animal fans the tiger is not real
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?   Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

?

vey nice guys, more please.
    sam

A couple of pictures of my K98 which I purchased at a recent arms-fair for £220. It was covered in rust - which probably put others off buying it. A few hours with wire-wool and plenty of 3 in 1 oil transformed it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?   Perhaps a pinned thread on nothing but WWII 98k rifles?  

My first attempt at posting a picture seems a bit of a disaster! The K98 was purchased recently for £220 in a very poor state, a couple of hours with wire wool and 3 in 1 transformed it into this.

Hi Harry, I have tidied up your post for you

Your TLC did the trick, it looks very respectable now.

Cheers, Ade.

Reg
    ?

Hi Lads

I "tinkered" with a K98 a few years ago, heres some before and after pics. Am still looking for a turned down bolt handle if anyone can help.

Cheers
    Reg

Hi Reg,
    There's no need to source another bolt, do as I did several years ago. Heat the handle of the bolt and bend it to the correct shape. Its not a job for the faint-hearted, but any good gunsmith would do it for you. There are many tricks in restoration that purists would throw their hands up at in horror - but they do work. I once soaked the woodwork of a K98 Az in a bath of boiling water with plenty of biological washing powder in with it. The powder lifts all the muck out and the water swells the wood and gets rid of most of the minor dings. Once dried and rubbed down the transformation is amazing. I would like to thank Adrian for sorting out my 'last' post as well - cheers!

Regards,
    Harry.

Reg
    ?

Cheers Harry, Ill have a go sometime! I stripped the wood on my K98 by blasting it in oven cleener, putting paper towels round it and then binding it in cling film for about half an hour, it pulled all the grime out! (Mrs wasnt too pleased, she wanted me to do the oven afterwards and Ild used all the stuff)

Ill get a new gas can for the heat gun!!!

All the best
    Reg

Hi Reg,
    Make sure you strip the bolt completely before attempting to heat and bend the handle!

Harry.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25