Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Piat

Article about: Hi Spotter, thanks for the background info on your work and putting me wise, it sounds an interesting job! Hi Copdoc, I will ask my Dutch friend again about the rounds they recovered. Cheers

?

Default Piat

2nd Model, PIAT (spigot mortar). I have put this on other sites to generate interest.

I would be interested in seeing different projectiles for it. I was told there were, at one time, smoke and ground illumination for them but one of the British ordnance guys said he had not seen any.

Default Re: Piat

Jim, That is a nice one...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Unregistered
    ?

Thanks Bill

You could add to it by posting your projectile. I know Spotter has some also. It would be nice to see as many as possible in one place.

It must be PIAT week,Ref the smoke round,i have only seen pictures of the Phos piat round and these were described as experimental/trials
    attatched image is of a Piat sub cal practice shot,Two were found at work last week whilst i was off came i back and identified them as nobody new what they were,scarce items
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Piat  

?

1943 Drill round. ... "Home Use Only"

G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Piat   Piat  

I would have said this was a Practice round and not a drill round,found some of these on an old training area in the uk.sometimes they also have INERT stamped/painted on them in between the Fingers that hold the warhead onto the tail spigot..DRILL rounds tend to be overall body colour black with Drill written on them.PRACTICE Piats are overall body colour black with a yellow band,often mistaken for HE rounds due to the yellow banding also with practice rounds they are weighted to the same weight as a live round where DRILL rounds tend to be empty and therefore a lot lighter plus the tail tube is often found plugged as they are not ment to be fired

?

I stand corrected ! .. cheers for the explanation spotter.

G.

Here is my inert PIAT round. Dated 1943.

Nice to see the sub cal round. Did you manage to save these from destruction?

Cheers, Ade.

Hello ade yes they got saved ,theyre going to the training wing to be used for instruction/identification

That is good to hear.

PIAT's are very hard to obtain now. I looked to buy one about 12 years ago and gave up and bought a Vickers MMG instead. A few do turn up on the market but they sell in excess of £1000, often nearer the £1500 mark now.

I should add they are reproduced, not in order to fool the collector, but made by and for the re-enactor market. I will show a pic of three from our LH group at a display. Only one is real. Some of the very best copies are made in Poland. These are very well made and would function like an original, where as the British made replicas are not so well made and lack the powerfull spring.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast