Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Piat

Article about: Hi Spotter, thanks for the background info on your work and putting me wise, it sounds an interesting job! Hi Copdoc, I will ask my Dutch friend again about the rounds they recovered. Cheers

Default Re: Piat

Hi Spotter, thanks for the background info on your work and putting me wise, it sounds an interesting job!

Hi Copdoc, I will ask my Dutch friend again about the rounds they recovered.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by copdoc View Post
    Good info on the 808. I did not know what it represented. On this side of the pond we call "gelignite", "blasting powder" or sometimes "blasting gelatin". I don't think I have ever seen any production US shells loaded with it (but would be very interested if anyone has samples). It is the same composition as double base gunpowder.

I have not been a chemist in a long time but neither of these should give you a signifiicant amont of HCN generated from combustion. A lot of synthetic polymers do liberate HCN if burned. I mention this because I did not know if any PIAT rounds had synthetic liners etc. as a source of HCN.

Ade, if you can find out more from your Dutch friend it would be interesting.

Spotter, We were taught that some of the British shells from WWI had picric acid (2,4,6 trinitro phenol) both as a propellant and as an explosive. I have never seen any. Have you ever seen any and if so how are they marked.
    Im not that sure about different explosive compositions but i believe Picric acid was used as an explosive and was later re named or developed into the more commonly known Lydite,,Im sure ive also heard of a lot of old ordnance becoming unstable/sensitive due to the Picric acid crystalising..sorry cnt provide a definitive answer but may give you some leeds for further research..spotter

June 1944 PIAT Training round...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Piat   Piat  

Piat  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Thanks Spotter. Lyddite is made of Picric acid and TNB (trinoitrobenzine) I think. I have not thought about this in a long time. One of my instuctors said in WWI the Brits used picric acic as the propellant, explosive and then as an antiseptc. He also told us the metal salts of picrate are somthing very sensitive and something to be feared. We made picric acid in a class but after I pointed out the potential they removed it from the lab. No worse than making TNT or some other high explosive just keep the lead vessle cold, very cold.

I think I'll pull out some of the old books.

Thanks Ade Let us know what you find out.

Bill that is nice. Are you holding it for me for Christmas?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    Thanks Spotter. Lyddite is made of Picric acid and TNB (trinoitrobenzine) I think. I have not thought about this in a long time. One of my instuctors said in WWI the Brits used picric acic as the propellant, explosive and then as an antiseptc. He also told us the metal salts of picrate are somthing very sensitive and something to be feared. We made picric acid in a class but after I pointed out the potential they removed it from the lab. No worse than making TNT or some other high explosive just keep the lead vessle cold, very cold.

I think I'll pull out some of the old books.

Thanks Ade Let us know what you find out.

Bill that is nice. Are you holding it for me for Christmas?
    Christmas??? How about Show of Shows 2009... Will that do??? BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Christmas??? How about Show of Shows 2009... Will that do??? BILL

That will do Uncle Bill. Now that spotter showed me the sub cal trainers and they look easier to make I need to find a tray for it. Naw I think I'll still plan to build at least one full size one to shoot.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Here is my inert PIAT round. Dated 1943.

Nice to see the sub cal round. Did you manage to save these from destruction?

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Mr Stevenson
    I recently posted a couple of pics of some Piat projectiles that I brought in France. There were several in pieces of which I managed to build 2 decent examples. I have left over (if I can find them) some spare clips and the small canister/holder that fit to the rear tail fins if they are of any use. It appears your example is not including one, unless it is out of shot on your image. Kimd regards Francis

Hi Mr Stevenson
    I recently posted a couple of pics of some Piat projectiles that I brought in France. There were several in pieces of which I managed to build 2 decent examples. I have left over (if I can find them) some spare clips and the small canister/holder that fit to the rear tail fins if they are of any use. It appears your example is not including one, unless it is out of shot on your image. Kind regards Francis

That is very kind of you. Thank you.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Mr Stevenson. Here are some pics of capsules for fuse on rear tail of Piat projectile. I think that the middle on is the one that matches yours. I must say, your example is a beautiful specimen. I dont know if I can find a spare clip just yet but if you need one to complete yours Im quite happy to remove one off mine. Looking at yours, your need is greater and more deserving. Anyway, if you would like a capsule and spring holder....... its all yours. Kind regards. Francis
    PiatPiatPiatPiat

obviously the fuse itself isnt with it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast