MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Pistol Discussion

Article about: Come on guys, no one considered the very collectable, hard hitting, trustworthy, plainjane M1911A1... Two WWs plus numerous conflicts were fought with the M1911... In US you can easily (if y

Default Re: Pistol Discussion

Just a suggestion but I bought a Smith and Wesson CS 9 years back and love it. Small 9MM with Hogue wrap-around grips are standard. Small Auto you can hide out in a pocket. Can be had on used gun market. Also in 40 and 45. Check it out. Good luck with your decision.

Alright guys, I think it's settled. Hi-Power it is! Now I just have to read up. Any tips? Is there anything I should look out for when looking for one?

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi, ........
    Even to get a deact permit is just .........about 500 euros and a lot of waiting time.
    Lucky no permit needed here for deact's, but it is only a matter of time....I all ready sold all mine.
    They just banned the rule that no permit was needed for all rifles made before 1946, sad thing!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I carried a TT(clone) when I worked overnight shifts that did double-duty in my Soviet display, but I would have to agree that a nice FN Hi Power from the era would be a nice piece to own.

Another suggestion I can think of is the earlier model CZ and Astras. You can even score a decent proofed example for a reasonable amount.

Good luck!

Nothing specific to look for. Just find an all matching Belgian made Browning HP with the tangent sight and preferably with German waffen stamps and a good blued finish to it. A matching period German holster would be a nice topper. If a wartime German issued piece is not feasible, you may want to hunt down a good Canadian made Browning HP or even an Irish issued one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Lucky no permit needed here for deact's, but it is only a matter of time....I all ready sold all mine.
    They just banned the rule that no permit was needed for all rifles made before 1946, sad thing!
    |<
    Sadly you have.
    I would have bought your MP40.

My first would be a PP, but HP is very good too.

If you are only going to purchase one (THAT WONT LAST LONG) many have said this and have ended up with a bunch of collectable/historical pistols.. I too would go with a WW2 Browning Hi/Power....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Japanese T94 Pistol in 8mm Nambu-your enemies will die laughing...

?

You need to give us some more info.

Are you cleared for CC?

If yes, you'll soon tire of carrying a generic 'Grande Puissance' (be it vintage WWII or a more modern version).
    Its a relatively big gun and keep in mind, that although a super nice gun and one of my favourites, the GP has a double stack magazine and I believe few would carry less than a full mag in a gun for SD.
    As full sized guns go, the GP is a slim well rounded gun - not least due to the excellent design work of Dieudonne Saive, who as a firearms genius in his own right did much of the desing work on the GP. Amongst other features, he designed the very nice and slim pistol grip on the gun. Its relatively slim for so many rounds, but we are still talking about a big gun (relatively, that is).

Further more some/most WWII guns are not ideal for CC as is.

The Grande Puissance has certain features, which makes it less than ideal for self defence.

Up to 1962 the GP had a too small fragile extractor, which was prone to breakage under certain circumstances (after '62, the extractors on the GPs were beefed up).

NEVER lock the slide back on a WWII GP, pop a round in the chamber and slam the slide.

ALWAYS chamber a round from the magazine.

Puny thumb safety not optimal for self defence. Difficult to manipulate for some owners (this was changed in the 80s and onward).

Most GPs were manufactured for military hard- ball. The pointy nose rounds fed reliably, but hollowpoints are a different story.

You MUST get the GP throated for self defence! Throated it'll feed JHP rounds out of the box all day long and twice on Sundays.

Regular iron sight are puny, as many from that era and the tangent sight is a joke (also or rather especially for SD. Not for collectors of course).

Sights should be changed for Nowaks or the like.

(trigger is creepy. Can be improved. Some remove the mag safety to improve the trigger, but that is not recommended in the US, as thats not lawyer-proof).

Ideally, you send the gun to a 'Cylinder & Slide-type' custom shop and have them modify as per the above points.
    They do excellent work.
    It'll cost, but you dont have to go all out as on the beautyful example attached below - you just need to get the points mentioned fixed.
    Even though we like our WWII relics original (be they uniforms, decorations or what ever), you can easily find a well worn example of a GP to modify. Dont be squirmish about customizing; its your life at stake, as you mentioned it was for self defence. Further more, there are plenty of generic GPs about, so it shouldnt bother you to pep your GP up.

Alloy Frame FN 9mm Hi Power Grade 4 Short Slide

Completed Custom Handguns

IMPORTANT: Do not fire modern NATO 9mm (meant to cycle subguns as well) or +P in a WWII Browning GP.
    Its a slim gun and fragile in that respect - especially the slim slide.

If you want to go Browning and GP - go .40. It has a beefed up slide.

But back to the WWII GP at hand:

As mentioned, even lightly modified with a few necesarry modifications its still a relatively big gun.

Here my recommendation: By all means buy the GP for the bedstand and for plinking, but get another type of gun for carry.

If you do have a CWP, buy a Kel-Tec .380, a Ruger LCP or a small frame revolver. Fire a couple of hundred rounds through that thing, so you KNOW it'll feed reliably - I cant stress this enough.
    Check it for pocket lint on a regular basis (some get small compact pocket holsters for this type of SD piece) and also clean and fire it on a regular basis, so you know it works and the drawing and firing of it comes natural to you.

Three important Things:
    1. Train.
    2. Train.
    3. Train.

Yes, I know its not a very romantic gun for us relic and historical freaks, but after the romance of your first gun wears off, you'll tire of luggin' it around.
    If not for carry, but purely for on the bedstand and for plinking, a HP sized gun will be fine.
    Dont rely on 9mm hardball for SD though - find a proper SD projectile and insure, that it'll feed reliably in the old warhorse.
    (goes for the .380 as well).

Three important things to remember with the 9mm WWII guns also:
    1. Train.
    2. Train.
    3. Train.

I know you most likely will get the GP and thats fine - seems you settled on that.

If you reconsider and heed my words, but still find a .380 too small, you should look at a Kahr or similar sized Kimber or the like in 9mm.
    They are nice guns.

No matter which guns you choose, we want pics and a range report ;-)

Ohhh, and one more thing: Train, train, train.
    Attached Images Attached Images Pistol Discussion 
    Last edited by Scout; 06-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast