Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Police swoop on military gun collector as he drives to his mum's

Article about: Time to remember we all live in police states, and this is about control! No guns = you do what you're told. I seem to recall that gun crime exploded in the UK when private citizens had thei

Default Re: Police swoop on military gun collector as he drives to his mum's

from what I can glean, there is major failure by all involved.

stupid as hell to have the weapon visible, your just asking for problems. and you cant blame them for looking into it. I mean crying out loud,your in a country that is about as anti-gun as it gets.............doy !!

then even worse is the response by LEO's and the Prosecutors,wasting the tax payers money on something so obvious..............duh!

Quote by Nitram View Post
    J

EDIT - Stug, it says only the stock was visible from under a blanket. So they weren't exactly on display.

Nitram
    Yep, I saw that, ergo the choice of the word "visible". Never said they were on full display. ;-)
    The stock was however seen and recognized for what it was.
    I just think it a bit irresponsible of the owner to firstly have them laying on the back seat and secondly to have any part of them visible, but the resultant reaction by the police was way over the top.....as usual when it comes to firearms these days.
    Tom

?

I dont blame the police whole heartedly, after all thats what a firearms team is there for, i just think the officer in charge could have used more common sense and discretion, i mean they could have a bloody field day at our arms fairs here, theres always dealers taking weapons from their vehicles, across car parks and roads to the venues so wheres the difference, its still weapons in a public place, but i noted that the charge was for imitation weapons whereas they are de-activated and a certificate should have been all that was needed to prove the legitimacy of carrying them , as for the act concerning the law that he was charged with, it states a public place,really a public place is where the every day public have access to, they dont have access to the inside of his vehicle, but he couldnt be charged under the Terrorism Act so i assume it was dropped to a lesser offence in order to get a conviction, but to be sentenced at all was in my opinion done in order to avoid any public backlash, to show just how paranoid its getting , a short while ago a member of a local sporting group was arrested because he had a starter pistol at a sports ground, admittedly it didnt go anywhere but that was only because the OIC threw the charge out and issued a verbal warning, which was again to pacify public opinion and the news media

A few years ago now, during the IRA trouble, somebody I know ,who was going through a divorce , had to have his house valued, as he was at work, his mother let the valuer in and left him to get on with his job.The next thing he knows, was a call from his mother to come home at once, the police had raided the house as it had been reported to house a terrorist cell.This was in fact a loft of WW2 uniformed manniquins and various deact small arms and equipment.The valuer had called the Police, luckily the sergeant was a really sensible guy and he did his bo**ocks, apologised and was going off to have a word with the valuer,BUT it might have ended differently
    Pete.

Its a pity that this isn't a rare occurance in the UK, the guy obviously made the mistake by leaving his deactivated gun partially visible, but on production of the certificate the police should have just told him to be a bit more careful and left it at that. This thread on the gunstar forum covers peoples personal experiences (including my own) regarding the police when it comes to such matters: Got my house searched yesterday !!

Just to make it clear, I'm not having a go at the police as such, as they do a very difficult job and can't afford to miss anything out, however sometimes common sense and decency seems to go right out the window unfortunately.

Thanks

Danny

?

Saying about guns being where they shouldnt be!! I moved house a few years ago & the removals wouldnt take any of my de-acts!! no problems i will put them in the boot of the car, drove from A to B unpacked the car then i was straight off to the Alps to do some climbing, Only when i was i my way home repacking the car after a week in France i came across my Bren gun & Magzine under the dog blankets!!! what do you do!!! I drove straight through British customs holding my breath!!! Only to be pulled into the search bay!!! F**k i thought get your chatting head on after 10 minutes of waffle & no search i was on my way again Ahem...

?

I think the police where doing there job however i do not beleve it should have gone as far as it did ...

Kind regards
    Alex

?

I agree with you there Alex common sense!!!! Im an ex squaddie & if i was also a fire armed trained policeman i should able to defuse the sitution in seconds!! Firstly check the weapon out, look at your customer!! 50 odd age old man, driving an old car with a German uniform in it.. Called me a bluff old cove.. but im sure even your most stupid terrorist wouldnt dress in a German uniform to comment an act!!!, these things can be nipped in the bud on the spot...with common sense & alittle customer service!! not threats..& Yes the bloke was a bit dumb for leaving it on show, it should been in a decent bag with the certs..just incase he crashed & weapons were thrown everywhere!!! lol...Terry.

?

Hi Terry,

You have summed it up I'n one , i hope this is a isolated case but sadly i do not think it will be ...

Kind regards
    Alex

?

Alex i know what you mean.. i myself like to have the odd BBQ in the garden, with beers,music & weapon training for the daughters & son.lol..It wont be long before a SWAT team comes crashing through the back gate...no win situition for us de-acts against live!!!..i will edge my bets on Tic Tac the half jack russel taking some down!!!..Cheers Terry...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast