Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Possible Type 99 Purchase

Article about: After some reaserch I have found a nice Japanese Type 99 that I may buy. This is a Nagoya arsenal series 3 (I think). It is all-matching and has the mum. It has the anti-aircraft wings intac

partisan42
    ?

Default Re: Possible Type 99 Purchase

Hi Martin,

This looks like a fine Arisaka, not messed with. I think that $500 is a fair price, on the high end of the retail but it is an internet sale so you can expect to pay that. Having the cleaning rod does add a bit to the value.

The rifle is likely not import marked, very few Arisakas in the U.S. are import marked because almost all came in as WWII bring backs, before import marks were required.

I would definitely ask for a good description of the bore as this affects value considerable. Do not settle for condition that is less than you want, there are many, many Type 99s in the U.S.

Watch out for a duffel cut stock as others have pointed out. Even a repaired duffel cut stock reduces value. GIs were typically smart about it and made the cut where the barrel band sits so it will be hidden until the barrel band is removed.

Good luck getting your Arisaka.

It looks as if the bolt, bolt handle, and the metal plate (not sure what it is called) covering the stock (directly after the bolt) are brown? (not blue) Is this a bad thing?

Is this rust? Or, is it just the light?

If I get the rifle, should I try to clean the metal? (the pieces with rust/browning)

The last picture in my post has the best picture of these areas.

partisan42
    ?

Hi Martin,

That plum brown color you are seeing in areas is patina, formed where the original blue finish has worn off or where rust once was. There is nothing that you can do about this. The best thing to do is to leave it alone, the bluing is gone in those areas. If you do find active rust it would be a good idea to remove it in the least invasive manner possible, I would suggest a stiff nylon brush and bore solvent. I would also suggest rubbing on a thin coating of gun oil on the metal parts before it is stored to discourage rust from forming. Hope this helps.

Does the brown color make the rifle less desirable?.... There seems to be other metal parts that are not brown, but are more blue (like on the barrel)

Just found out from seller.... barrel is great condition with no pitting or other problems.

Hi Lt. Martin, that's good news. Since you are like me, limited on the financial side, I would say this could be a good buy. The bores on these guns were chromed but they could still be in bad shape with the corrosive ammo that was shot through them. If the bore is good, try asking the guy selling it if he will pay for shipping. I would say go for it. Like I told you on the PM, you might be able to get this for $400 somewhere else, but it depends on how long you wanna wait. If it was me, I'd pull the trigger and make the leap. Good luck!

Lt. Martin,

If you go to the the forums on gunboards.com,
    Gunboard's Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    and towards the bottom of the forums page is a section entitled Firearms of the Rising Sun. Many Japanese weapons and militaria collectors visit there. They can answer any questions that you have about your possible weapon purchase or about Japanese militaria in general. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,
    Pete

I just purchased the gun. It should come in the mail in a few days.

Finally, I now have a working, non-deact WWII rifle!

Many Thanks for the help, Swayne Martin

Well done Swayne! I am very pleased for you.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2