Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

PPK fake?

Article about: Help determine. This is a fake or ....? on our forum this has been identified as fake According to the owner of the bone lining The owner does not claim that this is the original, he wants t

Default Re: PPK fake?

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Yes, i could see some of these pistols going for the 2-3 K price ranges, but 30,000 to 50,000 is just out right stupid....

Brian
    They could sell a ton of them if they were only $2000 or $3000 !

I think the fakers/scum try to go 'in for the kill' and make a bundle on just a few pistols, if they can.

My bet is that the 'dealers' trying to sell these have the pieces 'on consignment'
    and do not actually own them...............
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by AgulAga View Post
    Help determine. This is a fake or ....?
    on our forum this has been identified as fake

According to the owner of the bone lining
    The owner does not claim that this is the original, he wants to know what it is.

PPK is located in Ukraine, and has a label deactivation known plant.
    We have been strange to see such a mark on the "original" PPK

Let us hear your comments

sorry for my English.. I usig google translate
    Your best bet,take it to a qualified gun smith first. He may be able to determine if it's been played with etc. and steer you in the right direction. Ron

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Your best bet,take it to a qualified gun smith first. He may be able to determine if it's been played with etc. and steer you in the right direction. Ron
    The weapon will check out as will the SN, because these "fabricators" choose PPK's that were made in the correct period or in the correct batch for a particular branch of service.

The issue is any work done to turn it into what it is now.

What I have come up with is that 99 44/100% of them are fakes and the issue is :
    #1-The quality of the engraving work . I spent a few years working with a German machinist building very precise optical manufacturing equipment to cut and polish contact lenses. The tolerances were incredibly tight and he threw away anything that wasn't exactly correct. He took great pride in his work, even the parts that would never be seen unless you totally disassembled the machines we built. I would think that the engravers at Walther or whomever would have done the engraving would not have allowed a "second" to be given as a presentation piece. Also examination of the engraving by one collector/dealer I know who turned down offering them thru his shop found evidence of use of modern engraving equipment (Dremel type tool marks).
    #2-The German language has changed in the past 50 years. Old German has fallen out of fashion, it isn't taught in formal classes-modern German is what every NON German learns. Thus the correct useage and how it is written is different. Several of the fakes presently for sale have obvious errors in work structure-they use modern German not Old German.
    #3 Why are there so many appearing NOW? Where were they? None of the pistol collectors I know have heard of them in such numbers and the ones they have seen back in the 50's were much better quality. If a PPK was persentatuion model it was always given in a proper wooden box with a complete accessory kit and holster. Why have none of them showed up with the weapons? (Even the guy whio stole the photo albums from The Eagles Nest kept the original sleeve binder).

Anyway, its a real shame that ANYONE chooses to fake a relic. I understand GREED and I can understand the type of collector who is so wealthy they can buy anything and everything they want just to keep it from the other collectors (I know several folks like that in the Auto collecting and Watch collecting fields), but the true reason isn't worth the time it takes to say it.

Well mr.dirt,you have some good points there. As for why so many seem to be turning up in resent yrs., perhaps people are just taking notice and they've been around for quite some time. Ron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3