Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

PPsh 41

Article about: Hi all, just got this today (an early treat to myself) dated 1944 and in very good condition. Deactivated to UK new spec but top cover can be opened and the bolt can be removed. It has been

Default Re: PPsh 41

Quote by lach470 View Post
    WOW.....what a super weapon! After the MP40, the PPSH would be the next one that I would want to acquire! How heavy is it? Looks fantastic - congrats on Christmas come early!!

Rob

Its not that bad Rob, bit longer than an MP34
    Ben

Hi Rob, I would choose a PPSh41 over an MP40 for several reasons. I have shot both live. Here are my thoughts:

Rate of fire

Select fire option

Mag capacity

Weight (Although much heavier this does make it more stable to shoot and keeps the muzzle down. Plus in close combat if you hit someone with one of these they are not likely to get up again)

Hi Ben, I know we have talked about these issues together at the last show we were at, but just for the benefit of forum members I will repeat myself a bit. The drum magazines for these weapons are serial numbered to the gun. When issued a soldier would get a gun and two mags.(One spare) The manufacturing tolerances were very poor. Some mags will not fit some guns, which is a poor state of affairs. I have got two guns to which I have had to tailor the 5 spare mags to the weapons. This involves filing down the mags and rebluing. We are only talking thousands of an inch here, but that is more than enought to cause problems. I think the large mating surfaces don't help. I have seen wartime Soviet newsreel of guys fitting mags to guns.

Moving on now to the 35 round stick mags. First off, the mag used for this gun differs from the similar but different one used in the PPS43. I was initially shocked to discover this, but later thinking about this, I realised why: it was due to the circumstances of the production of the PPS in beseiged Leningrad. I will illustrate several mags here inc a PPS mag so you know what you are looking at.

You will see each mag I show is different. Here there could be problems and I would welcome input from forum members. I asked this question before elsewhere and got next to no replies. These mags were produced outside the Soviet Union by many countries post war. I can say with some degree of confidence that the mag I show with markings is a true Soviet issue mag. I was informed by one collector that he had a similar marked SVT40 mag. These were not made elsewhere later, other than direct repros for shooters, so I think we are safe.

If I can digress for a minute, the mag you and indeed myself want, is the early issue bell mouthed example. I don't have one to show, but I will ask a comrade for a pic of his.

OK, going back to my mags. You will notice that each one is different. The PPS mag is on the far right of the group pic by the way. Note the different floor plates, throats, etc to the PPSh41 mags. You can see the stamped markings to one mag. The rest are virtually unmarked aside from some tiny number stamps.

Hope this is of interest?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PPsh 41   PPsh 41  

PPsh 41   PPsh 41  

PPsh 41  
    Attached Images Attached Images PPsh 41 

Hey thanks Ade that was informative, the mag on my PPsh is bugger to get on, I think that the weapon being mint does not help to be honest, even the catch for breaking open the top cover is very stiff, I will have to have a good luck. If you see a PPsh mag on your travels Ade pick me one up and I will square you away,you will have more chance of seeing one at all the venues you attend
    Ben

Hi Ben, nice weapon! Did you perchance order this from RytonArms? I myself ordered one a couple of days ago, should get here on tuesday I'm told.
    Can it be cocked? I'm just a little unsure about how you put it in the original post. And also, as far as external looks are concerned, is it in it's original state? (As in, does the deactivation alter the gun's aesthetics at all?)
    This shall be my 2nd gun in my relatively small but growing militaria collection, and I can't wait to get hold of it!

Oh, and this is my 1st post on the site, I actually found it by discovering this topic. Thanks for any help, and Merry Christmas!

-Mat

Hi Mat and welcome to the forum yes mate went to Ryton arms myself and collected it from Freddie (very nice chap), the weapon can be cocked, they have cut the reciever in half to do this. IMO for a new spec deactivation it is very well done and I am inpressed with what I have got, mint condition and all matching numbers in my eyes very good for the price I paid, I will be saving for a PPsh 43 next

grusse
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Hi Mat and welcome to the forum yes mate went to Ryton arms myself and collected it from Freddie (very nice chap), the weapon can be cocked, they have cut the reciever in half to do this. IMO for a new spec deactivation it is very well done and I am inpressed with what I have got, mint condition and all matching numbers in my eyes very good for the price I paid, I will be saving for a PPsh 43 next

grusse

Ah, ok then. When you say cut in half, is this internally, or is the receiver visibly sectioned? I could not tell from photos (I apologise if this is a stupid question, I'm pretty new to the world of deactivated guns!).
    Anyhow, either way, the fact it can be cocked is definitely an added bonus in my eyes. Especially as new specification deacs are usually welded wherever possible... Can't complain! And yes, the PPS-43 is a nice choice; I was torn between these two guns before I decided on buying this. Next, I think I shall be purchasing the TT-33 Tokarev, I love that pistol!

-Mat

The pistols are nice and mint Matt, they come with spare mag, holster and lanyard and in my eyes at an excellent price, I have seen them for sdale in used condition just for the pistol alone!
    Ben

Ben, Nice PPSh41...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Mat, welcome to the forum.

I think you will find Ben has made a typo. The reciever is not cut, but the BOLT is

As you have msot likely read, I am a big fan of Soviet weapons. You cannot go wrong on a TT33 or a PPS.

Cheers, Ade.

Comrades, This is my PPSh 41 with the First Year of Production Magazine .

Enjoy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast