Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-Victory S&W .38/200

Article about: Today's mail brought this beauty! It's a Lend-Lease Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver in .38 Smith & Wesson. 5" barrel. I assume it went to the British Army. A nice

?

Default Pre-Victory S&W .38/200

Today's mail brought this beauty! It's a Lend-Lease Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver in .38 Smith & Wesson. 5" barrel. I assume it went to the British Army. A nice pre-Victory series revolver.

All of the serial numbers match, including the grip numbers. It's not import marked but does have the proof marks from BNP from when it left military service.

Can anyone identify the marking on the left side of the frame - H B 4 in crosses. Was this also a mark from when it left military service or perhaps a unit marking?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-Victory S&W .38/200   Pre-Victory S&W .38/200  

Pre-Victory S&W .38/200   Pre-Victory S&W .38/200  

Default Re: Pre-Victory S&W .38/200

Hi Mark, that is one nice pistol I love 38 specials as they have been around for many many years and are fun to shoot.

rgds, Ty

very nice pistol

?

While looking over this revolver, I found what appears to be the letters VO lightly stamped in the frame above the trigger on the left side.

Does anyone know what that might be?

Hi Mark, the crossed swords and HB4 marking is again another mark applied by the Proof House.

Cheers, Ade.

I think the crossed swords are the Birminham proof house mark.The general mark when British guns were sold was to stamp another arrow >< , like this next to the original broad arrow,
    Pete.

?

Thanks guys! You are correct on the Birmingham marking. I was able to determine that this is the mark used to designate when, where and who proofed the weapon and this particular pattern was used from 1950-1974. The H equates to the year - 1957; the B is for Birmingham Proof House and the 4 is the inspector's identification number.

The year is determined by comparing the letter of the alphabet to the last number of the year. A= 1950, B=1951, etc.

Hi Mark
    realy like the pistol i have one the same it must have been made about the same time as yours the numbers are only a few k apart mine is 904270.
    mine is a deactivated one though (uk). Mine is without the proof marks though so must have stayed in storage or suvineered before it was chopped. nice picks though

?

Quote by dogdog47 View Post
    Hi Mark
    realy like the pistol i have one the same it must have been made about the same time as yours the numbers are only a few k apart mine is 904270.
    mine is a deactivated one though (uk). Mine is without the proof marks though so must have stayed in storage or suvineered before it was chopped. nice picks though
    Thanks! It does sound as if yours never was transferred out of Service and was just demilled instead. I am hoping to put a few rounds through mine this spring when the weather here gets a little warmer.

Very nice Smith and Wesson...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...