Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pre-war -ww2 japanese rifle??? Information please

Article about: Hi what are your thoughts on this rifle is this pre-war?? it measures 50 inches thank you for your time and help Tony

Default Re: Pre-war -ww2 japanese rifle??? Information please

Quote by zwerge View Post
    This is an early Type 38 made 1906-1935,by the stampings on it it has been taken out of service and assigned to a school for training purposes.
    My thoughts exactly.

The 00 stamped before the serial numbers and the circles stamped over the chrysanthemum are indications that this rifle was relegated to training purposes at schools. The rifle more than likely used in combat early in the war and then was deemed too worn out to continue front-line combat service.

I'll add that your rifle was made by the Kokura Arsenal... To the right of the serial number you'll see the Kokura marking (looks kind of like a 3-leaf clover) to the right of that, you'll see another symbol. This symbol is the series marking and it'll help us figure out exactly time frame of when your rifle was made.

Is the rifle all-matching otherwise? Look for the last three digits of the serial number "281"(?) stamped elsewhere on the rifle... especially on the bolt

Quote by tony75 View Post
    Hello
    thank you all for the info very helpful
    are these worth anything ???
    thank you
    Tony
    Transition to production of the Type 99 rifle began in 1941, I believe. Your Type 38 was made before then... The series number will tell all!

Value will depend on whether or not the rifle is all-matching. Check for the last three digits of your serial number on the underside of the bolt handle, on the parts of the bolt (firing pin) when you disassemble it and at the base of the magazine follower. There are a few other spots where serial numbers will be hiding, but these are the ones that easily come to mind for me.

If the rifle is all matching and without major issues or missing parts, it could be worth $400-$500.

Type 99 rifles tend to be more valuable/ collectable because they had many more gizmos like monopod, flip-out anti-aircraft sights.

?

zwerge & Gizmo are correct this is a school rifle and you can tell by the circle's stamped on the mum and also by the last kanji stamped on the receiver just below the "TYPE 38" Kanji.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Gizmo,
    I thought the series preceded the the serial #. Would this not be No Series Koishikawa Arsenal made rifle?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Gizmo,
    I thought the series preceded the the serial #. Would this not be No Series Koishikawa Arsenal made rifle?
    My mistake, you're right about the series.

I'm positive that's the Kokura arsenal marking.

?

Koishikawa Arsenal used this arsenal mark until it closed and then Kokura arsenal used it afterwards

?

I also have a Type 38 no series Koishikawa Arsenal School rilfe. The OP's is a little older that mine. My serial number is 00 593606!!! You should have it checked out by a Gunsmith. I still shoot mine and it not a bad shooter either. I just happen to get some Norma Jap 6.5 on one of our local gun blogs. I got 25 rounds for $20 bucks!!!!!! Major Score!!!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Koishikawa Arsenal used this arsenal mark until it closed and then Kokura arsenal used it afterwards
    That`s right,this is a no-series rifle by Koishikawa.....Koishikawa arsenal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks for setting me straight, guys!

Odd that they would reuse the marking from a defunct arsenal!

?

Thanks for the WIKI link zwerge. It looks like from the pic's on that link that the arsenal was really destroyed by the earthquake. I also didn't know that they also made airplanes at the Koishikawa Arsenal.
    Thanks Again
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2