Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Promised Bren Pictures

Article about: Oh yeah, totally agree with you And I dont think I will ever find an easier magazine to change either

ian
    ?

Default Re: Promised Bren Pictures

i think with your bren there has been some odd goings on as far as the deac proces goes ,,i have never ever seen one with weld burns before , not at all well done i must say

?

I reckon you could be right there, it's pretty odd

Hi mate, Nothing odd about it, I've seen tons with weld marks like that. Its just the way Sherwood armouries deac there Brens.

Your gun is a late Enfield Mk1, its all Mk1 with the exception of the Butt and carry handle, the bipod is either Mk3 or Mk1 but I cant tell from the photos. Dont worry about the mk2 parts, as the Mk1 parts became obsolete, they were replaced with Mk2 parts so just shows signs of service use.

There is a Mk1 AA/Sustained fire tripod on D and B but its way over priced, expect to pay £100 to £120 at some of the shows.

Ian, your Inglis Bren has the correct carry handle, Inglis still used the Mk1 wood in their Mk2 production. The bipod is a Monotype Mk2 however.

ATB Chris.

p.s. Dont forget, pass me your serial numbers and I may have some production info for you.

p.s. Forgot to mention the Mk1 and Mk2 tripod locking pins are identical for the front and back. There are some variations between Mk1 and 2 but all will fit.

?

Hey Bobby, the serial number is BB8648 and its a 1943 Enfield, hope that helps .
    Jesus, £350....... thats more than I paid for the gun in the first place!
    Would such things be found at War and Peace? I'm planning on going for the first time this year
    Any idea why they welded up the mag cover btw?

You should be able to buy a tripod at Beltring OK.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ah great
    I'll be looking for some WW2 uniforms as well, everything I've collected so far is pretty modern stuff

Quote by CO19 View Post
    Hey Bobby, the serial number is BB8648 and its a 1943 Enfield, hope that helps .
    Jesus, £350....... thats more than I paid for the gun in the first place!
    Would such things be found at War and Peace? I'm planning on going for the first time this year
    Any idea why they welded up the mag cover btw?
    BB8648 is a November 1943 gun, it would have been a full Mk1 to Mk1(M) pattern. I've no idea why the mag cover is welded, can you see weld on it? I can only think that the ball type plunger is missing and this is what holds the mag cover open or closed. It also acts on the retainer which holds the barrell latch in the up or down position so its possible its missing and these parts have been fixed in place with a dab of weld. Many of the more recently deac brens have many smaller parts missing as they are the last of the available guns now, if your is a recent job, I'd suspect thats whats happened.

ATB Chris.

Dumb question time...

On a deact Bren with the barrel welded in place as most (all?) are is it possible to change the bipod or not? I'm guessing not but since I've not got one I wasn't totally sure?
    I was just curious as you see a load of deact MK1 Brens with the later non telescopic bipods and wondered if once they had been deactivated and the barrel welded up if it was possible to swop back to a MK1 bipod (if you could find one!) or if that was it and they were stuck with the later one?

ian
    ?

normaly the barrel is wellded solid to the reciever
    but with no weld burns
    and no you cannot change the bipod
    however it can be done but it is on the edge of the law and i would not recomend you even try cheers ian
    with a veiw to weld burns look at my mk 2 does that not show you
    i had to change my bipod but im sn engeneer and i manged to do it my way but i sugest you dont try unless you know an engeneer who can put it back to the laws of deac afterwards cheers ian
    Last edited by ian; 07-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast