Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

PTRD 14.5mm Anti tank rifle

Article about: Hi Guys, I am posting these pics for forum member "grigoriev". The gun is dated 1942 and is still live If you have any questions about it, I am sure Colin would be pleased to answe

Default Re: PTRD 14.5mm Anti tank rifle

hi dimas , excellent relic to find

Single 14.5mm case picked up at Beltring for £1.

1942 dated and it has suffered from a rough extraction with the rim being deformed a bit. Recovered from the Finnish Front.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PTRD 14.5mm Anti tank rifle  

Johnnie
    ?

I recall reading somewhere that during the Korean War the US Army captured a few of these and a couple were rebarreled to .50 Browning with the idea of using them as long range sniper rifles. I forget the results and my references are in the States. Maybe Bill has some imput.

Johnnie

Grutte Pier
    ?

Question Re: PTRD 14.5mm Anti tank rifle

Quote by Johnnie View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that during the Korean War the US Army captured a few of these and a couple were rebarreled to .50 Browning with the idea of using them as long range sniper rifles. I forget the results and my references are in the States. Maybe Bill has some imput.

Johnnie
    I always thought that the Russians and Germans, who captured large quantities of these Russian AT rifles, already used them as sniper rifles as soon as they got obsolete.

Johnnie
    ?

Quote by Grutte Pier View Post
    I always thought that the Russians and Germans, who captured large quantities of these Russian AT rifles, already used them as sniper rifles as soon as they got obsolete.

Not sure. Probably so, but I imagine the lack of suitible optics may of been a hindrence. The US converted ones were equipted with large Unertl scopes as I remember. Damn I wish I had all of my references with me here in Germany

Johnnie

Grutte Pier
    ?

Thumbs up Re: PTRD 14.5mm Anti tank rifle

Quote by Johnnie View Post
    Not sure. Probably so, but I imagine the lack of suitible optics may of been a hindrence. The US converted ones were equipted with large Unertl scopes as I remember. Damn I wish I had all of my references with me here in Germany

Johnnie
    Thanks for your input and pleas look it up in your library when you get “home” Johnnie.

speiss 2002
    ?

I remember seeing a piece on those US Army .50 cals PTRD's. in Korea as well.The article was in a American Gun magazine about twenty years ago.It was the follow on from trying to use the Browning M2 with single rounds. Whether it was single field modification,or more widespead I don't remember.The Unertl scopes must have been severely tested by the recoil.

?

There was an article in Soldier of Fortune about 30 years ago on the 50 BMG sniper rifles. I saved it as I had been impressed with them and wanted one. One is a modified PTRD. I finally had to build one from scratch as I never found a good deal on a Boys or PTRD. I'll look for the article and the date.

Johnnie
    ?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    There was an article in Soldier of Fortune about 30 years ago on the 50 BMG sniper rifles. I saved it as I had been impressed with them and wanted one. One is a modified PTRD. I finally had to build one from scratch as I never found a good deal on a Boys or PTRD. I'll look for the article and the date.
    SOF was good mag for small arms articles. I have every issue from No1 up untill Pete Kokalis stopped writing for them (2000?) in storage back in the States. Once he left, I lost interest in the mag.

Johnnie

?

SOF was good mag for small arms articles. I have every issue from No1 up untill Pete Kokalis stopped writing for them (2000?) in storage back in the States. Once he left, I lost interest in the mag.
    I wish I had bought every one. I read the first one in the grocery store but was in college and money was tight. I have only bought one or two since about 2000. Maybe that is what happened. I wish I had the first one.

The 50 cal article is in Sept 1978. There is a good section in the book, The Complete Book of US Sniping by Peter Senich. It has some of the same pictures. I have about 5-6 more mags with articles on 50s if you want the names and dates let me know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast