Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Question about MK III STEN

Article about: Anybody know what era this thing came from? Hard to see in the pic, but the magazine housing says STEN M.C. MKIII. The other side of the same part shows "LB" and a very light stamp

Default Re: Question about MK III STEN

Quote by StenMk3 View Post
    And not to make too long a post, I will make it in 2 different ones that I hope you will find useful. Markings and Codes from the different manufacturers of Stens.
    These are not markinks and codes for manufacturers of stens but for manufacturers of sten parts.
    The squared SA is not a proof mark but a propriety mark.

?

Hi Sean,

I have recently rebuilt a MkIII Finnish modified sten exactly like yours. The hardest part about getting these right is bending the magwell tabs without distorting the tube, most people don't even bother trying and weld the remaining tabs to the new tube, but this looks a pigs ear. Here's a jig I made to do the job, it works very well

Here's a finished pic of the Finnish one.

?

Quote by Seanpmc1 View Post
    The way the sights are made on mine, I really don't see why they even bothered to put them on it. Or did they have some way to adjust point of impact before they left the factory? The front Barrel Bushing on mine looks to be centered, but if they had made the hole slightly off-center, they could have rotated it to change POI before they riveted it solid. That would at least have let them get the sights "close" to POI.

With the emphasis being mass production, I suppose the Soldiers probably just employed "Kentucky-windage" when they actually tried to use the sights...

The sights on your gun work fine. A MkIII is just as accurate as any other sten. MkIII's often got a reputation for wandering zero, but this was due to the barrel spinning when fired. The fix for this was to weld the barrel to the front collar. You can use this "wandering zero" to your advantage when you have finished your gun. If you use button head screws ( which look like rivets anyway ) you will be able to turn the barrel in the collars. Keep doing this until it is zeroed in then fix it in place with loctite.

SKSMAN
    ?

I have TW III & PLANT-4 on the barrel of my MK III. anyone know what this means? s# B72439. Thanks...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about MK III STEN   Question about MK III STEN  

?

I think plant 4 was the designation to the plant where it was made, TW the makers mark, and III to designate a MkIII barrel. They come with a variety of marks, but plant something or other is usual.

SKSMAN
    ?

any way to tell when and where it was made?

?

MkIII's were made at the Lines Brothers toy factory, I expect your trigger housing cover has LB marked on it. The MkIII is a simplifted MkI* Bolts and barrels were made in various places. It not hard to rebuild them better than they were built originally.

MkI*

Quote by SKSMAN View Post
    any way to tell when and where it was made?
    Lines Brothers assembled two batchs of MkIII. The first one from Jannuary, 1942 to december, 1942 from sn. 00001 to D99.999 = 500.000 units
    The second one from E00001 to H 89500 = 376000 units, from Jannuary 1943 to May-June, 1943.
    Check the sn. of your MkIII.

SKSMAN
    ?

I have a HCW stamped on the side of the bolt. any clue what thats about? and thank you all for your help. i had the kit for years and just now started to clean it up.

?

It's the makers mark.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2