Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Question about MK III STEN

Article about: Anybody know what era this thing came from? Hard to see in the pic, but the magazine housing says STEN M.C. MKIII. The other side of the same part shows "LB" and a very light stamp

Default Re: Question about MK III STEN

Hello Nige,
    I noticed you mentioned 'british gun black' in your post. Could you suggest a supplier of aerosol's in matt camo colours? All I've found so far are 5.5 litre cans at £35.00 each, which is a bit much for spraying a repro helmet for display!
    Your Mk 1 Sten is truly excellent, I have a deac which has had a dreadfull paint job so your advice to chem black and then re-spray will be very useful.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

?

Looks like Nige has cleared off.

If you want advise on how to finish your sten I recommend you get a rattle can of duplicolor ceramic engine paint and spray it with that. The DE 1635 Ford Semi-Gloss Black is what I use. It looks right on smg's and can be cured by baking at 300 degrees F for three hours. It's a very tough finish, there is no need for a chemical finsh before spraying.

Quote by Mick View Post
    Looks like Nige has cleared off.

If you want advise on how to finish your sten I recommend you get a rattle can of duplicolor ceramic engine paint and spray it with that. The DE 1635 Ford Semi-Gloss Black is what I use. It looks right on smg's and can be cured by baking at 300 degrees F for three hours. It's a very tough finish, there is no need for a chemical finsh before spraying.
    Thank you Mick,
    Thats good advice, I've been wanting to re-paint the Sten for ages and hadn't thought of engine paint.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

?

Here's a pic of a New Zealnd sten I finished with Duplicolor today. If you want yours more shiny give it a good polish.

Hello again Mike,
    That Sten looks very tidy indeed. Here's a picture of my sad old Mk II, you can see what I meant about the paint job. Looks as though someone has painted it with an old brush and a bucket of tar.
    Thanks again for the tip.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about MK III STEN  

?

That's not bad. Strip it down and get the paint off with paint stripper and it will come up like new. I take it that it can still be taken to pieces ? What's been done to deactivate it ?

Quote by Mick View Post
    That's not bad. Strip it down and get the paint off with paint stripper and it will come up like new. I take it that it can still be taken to pieces ? What's been done to deactivate it ?
    Hello again Mick,
    It's an old spec de-ac so I can take it to bit's for re-painting.
    Cheers, navyman.

Sean nice kit! I'm surprised to see it isn't a finnish contract gun with the SA stampings on the mag well. I guess 10 years ago you could still get different manufacturers most of them today are unmarked except for the SA stamp. Several of my friends have them and you can convert them to semi-auto. There are several websites selling semi-auto bolts and conversion recievers. They are fun to shoot and 9mm is cheap. However if you do convert it you may consider getting a BATF letter for the gun explaining that it is a converted gun. Its is a lengthy process that I never thought about until my friend had a totally legal semi auto Czech Scorpion conversion confiscated by a police officer who knew nothing about guns. He just saw a gun that he thought was a machine gun and confiscated it. If you have the paper work it will help convince uneducated people that the gun is legal.

[QUOTE=Mick;88520]Here's a pic of a New Zealnd sten I finished with Duplicolor today. If you want yours more shiny give it a good polish.

WOW!!! A+ paint job! I am working on refinishing a beat up M3 grease gun maybe I'll consider Duplicolor. I wonder how it handles heat?

?

[QUOTE=soalebm;88650]
    Quote by Mick View Post
    Here's a pic of a New Zealnd sten I finished with Duplicolor today. If you want yours more shiny give it a good polish.

WOW!!! A+ paint job! I am working on refinishing a beat up M3 grease gun maybe I'll consider Duplicolor. I wonder how it handles heat?

It's made to handle heat "Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F " Engine Enamel & High Heat

You could buy a gun finish such as duracote, but the duplicolor does exactly the same a lot cheaper.

Here's a duracoted Suomi.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2