Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

question on Mosin Nagant

Article about: Hi guys, he has sent a couple of pics, I dont think it is a T version with the cocking handle straight out, any thoughts from anyone? Cheers

Default Re: question on Mosin Nagant

Hi guys, he has sent a couple of pics, I dont think it is a T version with the cocking handle straight out, any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question on Mosin Nagant   question on Mosin Nagant  

Ben

The Soviets made so many 'sniper' MN rifles during WW2 that some were refurbished post war to standard rifle pattern.

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Chaps, I have the chance to buy a 1943 Mosin Nagant, the wood work is not a refurb one but nice wood, all matching numbers with a bayonet. He says its a "T" version which was a sniper one. Is this correct? Does it affect the value at all? How much should I be paying for it? I have seen the ex arsenal ones at Ryton for £155. Anyone any ideas? Sorry guys no pics but I have seen it, its from the same chap as the SMLE and it an ex firer.

Cheers
    Ben,
    The sniper MN would have a longer bolt handle that folds down parallel to the stock. Theey would also have a C or CH on the barrel end of the receiver if it is a Tula sniper If an Izzy the serial number would be on the barrel where it meets the receiver opposite from the bolt handle side as well as the normal serial number markings. I have not heard of a T marking denoting a sniper but I could be mistaken. Hope that helps.
    Cheers

Ben, as samnev says all the sniper models had the turn down bolt........its possible that someone has fitted a standard bolt for some reason but unless the original was lost why would you do it ? also if its an ex sniper and the scope has been removed there will either be holes in the left side of the receiver where the scope mount fitted or at least evidence that these holes had been filled in (welded) and ground down, the biggest giveaway for this is if you look at the receiver from the inside you can see the 'blind' ends of the original tapped holes..........I have a Izzy sniper dated 1942 (live firer) and often the Izhevsk ones were not identified as sniper rifles by being stamped unlike the Tula ones which nearly always had the cyrillic C or CN mark...................as has been said before the price for it...whatever it is.....is reasonable...........for the record my live firing version cost me £800.

Many thanks for the replies guys, I think at £190 its a bit much when at Ryton they have a 1943 & 1942 one for sale @£120, so unless he comes down I will be giving it a miss

Cheers all
    Ben

Hi Ben, I think you have made the right choice.

To confirm if it was once a sniper rifle, we would need to see the inside of the reciever with the bolt removed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks Ade
    Ben

?

As Ade said, you can easily tell if it was a former sniper by looking on the left wall of the chamber with the bolt pulled back. If it was a sniper, you will see 4 holes that were filled and welded over. Izhevsks were not marked as snipers except with the scope number stamped on the left side of the receiver where the barrel is screwed in, just above the woodline. When a sniper was taken out of service and refurbed back to a standard infantry rifle, many times the numbers were ground out or lined through. The bolts were also swapped back to a standard straight bolt as you show in the picture. Not sure what a "T" means - it does have a meaning in Enfield snipers, but not in 91/30s to my knowledge.

This was my '42 Izhevsk ex-sniper before I restored it back to a sniper. Note the straight bolt and the filled holes in the receiver.

question on Mosin Nagant question on Mosin Nagant

This is the same rifle after restoration. I use it as my primary match rifle for vintage sniper competitions and it is a tack driver.

?

Great restoration MarkV

- - Updated - -

Great restoration MarkV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2