Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on Thompson SMG's

Article about: Hi everyone, can anyone tell me which models of Thompson's sub machine gun's were used by the British army in WW2? I can find many pictures showing the 1928 A1's in British service, but what

Default Question on Thompson SMG's

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me which models of Thompson's sub machine gun's were used by the British army in WW2? I can find many pictures showing the 1928 A1's in British service, but what about M1 and M1A1? Were enough British SMG's available by this time that they didnt need the later Thompson models? And were M1's used extensively in U.S. service, because most of the pictures I can find show M1A1's with their distinctive rear sight protectors. I am looking for a deactivated Thompson and want to know which might fit best into my collection (I collect British and American items but want to know what I can display with what) Many thanks, Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Thompson SMG's  

?

Hello Douglas I am sure I have seen a picture or 2 with the British Commandos using an M1A1 & that was in the little collection at Spean bridge hotel.Could be wrong mind!! I can't really be much more help without any of my books! Sorry & Cheers Terry.

?

Just a tidbit of info and it all depends on what you want to display.
    The M1 and the M1a versions did not use or could they accept the 50 or 100 round drum magazine. They all used 20 or 30 round stick mag.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The British did use the M1 and the M1A1 with sling swivels moved as per the 1928. I have an ex Ausie M1A1 with a butt disk and relocated swivels. I also have a British AO 1928 and a Savage 1928A1 and they are all very well made guns. There is quite a lot of Ex Greek Thompson wood around so if you get an Ex Russian lend lease gun then get some of the Greek wood for it and keep the nice unissued Russian wood to one side. Also use a Lee Enfield sling rather than a Kerr sling.

Oh, the drums will not fit the M1 and M1a1. The 20 round mag will fit but the 30 round was the norm.

Thanks for your help everybody.

My M1A1 rumoured to be sas/chindit because of chequered fore grip and relocated swivels.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Thompson SMG's   Question on Thompson SMG's  

Question on Thompson SMG's   Question on Thompson SMG's  

Thanks very much for the responses and to Wrecker for showing his interesting Thompson. I thought I would share some pictures I have found of M1 and M1A1's in British and commonwealth use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Thompson SMG's   Question on Thompson SMG's  

Question on Thompson SMG's  
    Attached Images Attached Images Question on Thompson SMG's 

I like the stripy non regulation 'footy' socks the last soldier is wearing (along with standard P37 webbing and P07 bayo!).

Yes, its an interesting shot its a shame that the resolution is so low. However I think he he a Gurkha with a kukri rather than a bayonet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast