Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

real or fake waffen stamp?

Article about: I bought a 6.5 carcano cavalry stock a while back for my next bubba reversal and noticed the waffen proof on it. My understanding is that alot of these were taken from Italian soldiers after

Default real or fake waffen stamp?

I bought a 6.5 carcano cavalry stock a while back for my next bubba reversal and noticed the waffen proof on it. My understanding is that alot of these were taken from Italian soldiers after the surrender in 43 and then reissued. Then again, I know there are a lot of fake proofs out there. Opinions anyone? Thanks!

real or fake waffen stamp?

PRE
    ?

It's actually not a Waffen Amt stamp at all, but a depot stamp. The 'HZa' in the stamp stands for Heeres Zeugamt, or Army Depot Office. There are also HNZa (Heeres Neben Zeugamt) or Army Branch Depot Office stamps. They were placed on weapons both foreign and domestic, and signified that they had been inspected and deemed fit for service. That being said, the vast majority of captured arms were never stamped or modified at all.

Your's looks like a 100% legit Ingolstadt 3 stamp to me. I have a Model 91 Moschetto and Model 1938 Moschetto with the same stamp, and this one compares favorably to both.

Pat

Thanks for that PRE. I learn something new everyday on this forum.

PRE
    ?

No problem, I hope it helped.

I should clarify that the HZa's and the more numerous yet smaller HNZa's were repair depots charged with replacing parts and performing necessary modifications beyond the simple armorer level. There were depots for small arms, but there were also many for armor, artillery, et al. For example, a domestically produced, damaged K98k rifle could be brought to a HZa, repaired and then stamped with the depot stamp. By the same token, an Italian carbine seized in the wake of the Italian-Allied armistice in September 1943 could be collected and sent to the depot, inspected for fitness, and then stamped and put back out into circulation. In both cases, the presence of the depot stamp indicates that the inspector deemed both weapons fit for service.

I hope that clears things up a bit.
    Best,
    Pat