Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing lost de-act certificates

Article about: I wonder if anyone can help or advise me please. A friend of mine has a couple of de-act weapons and he has lost the de-act certificates for them, he would like to get them replaced, has any

Default Replacing lost de-act certificates

I wonder if anyone can help or advise me please. A friend of mine has a couple of de-act weapons and he has lost the de-act certificates for them, he would like to get them replaced, has anyone been in the same situation? Would he be able to get replacements directly from the proof house?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Yes I have replaced lost de-act certs.
    They will have to take them into either the London or Birmingham proof houses to have them inspected to check they are
    up to current specs. If they are they will issue a new cert in the post and re-stamp the gun.
    If not they will need work done by a RFD to bring them up to current de-act specs.
    Or take them to a RFD who will take care of everything and can submit them to the proof house for a price.
    If they are old spec, in particular a smg or assault rifle I would consider leaving them as they are.

Jonathan.

a good question jamie and well answered jonathan ive often wondered what the correct course of action would be on lost certs
    cheers james

I don't think you actually need the certificate, the gun will have the proof house deactivation stampings on it!...

How much does it cost to have a gun deact? Sorry to piggy back on this thread.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

great info paul the thought did cross my mind about the stamping being traceable
    thanks for your input mate

A de-act cert is only for transportation purposes,in other word if its removed from the home and stopped in transit without the cert then your nicked,however if it stays put then a cert isn't needed,as the stampings are clear proof of its de-act.

It is not required by law to have a deactivation certificate - although it is handy to have! Providing the weapons have been deactivated as required by the law - and has proof house stamps, there is not a problem. Tell your friend not to bother, he would be wasting his money. Jake is wrong to say the certificate is only for transportation purposes. How do you suppose a dealer transports a weapon with a lost certificate?

I was carrying a lee Enfield No.4 and a 1937 dated Mauser rifle in bin bags up to my grandads house as he was going to make a wooden wall mount for me to put them on. I was walking up the street and for the first time in years I saw a police car patrolling my neighbourhood. He stopped straight away jumped out and approached me gingerly. He asked "what's in the bag lad?" I replied "2 bolt action rifles mate", I thought to be honest like he'd soiled himself by the look on his face. I told him I had deac certificates he took them off me and was on the radio in his panda police car for ages before he eventually let me go. Sorry it was a little off subject but reading this just brought back that memory

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    How much does it cost to have a gun deact? Sorry to piggy back on this thread.
    I read somewhere that a new spec deactivation costs about £100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast