Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal

Article about: Hello-this weapon started as a Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbine I in 1898-the Royal Irish Constabulary were looking for replacements for their single shot black powder Snider and Martini Henry ca

Default RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal

Hello-this weapon started as a Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbine I in 1898-the Royal Irish Constabulary were looking for replacements for their single shot black powder Snider and Martini Henry carbines just after 1900 and the British army had large numbers of LE CC and LM CC surplus in store as the new SMLE was to be issued both to mounted troops and the infantry-the carbines were altered to take the P1888 blade bayonet (cavalry carbines of the period usually didn't mount bayos as swords or lances were intended to be used by them for close combat).

The bayonets were required as the RIC was a paramilitary force and one of the primary uses for the bayonet was and indeed still is for crowd control. About 11,200 carbines were so converted over the period 1904-14.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal   RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal  

RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal   RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal  

RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal   RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal  

Default Re: RIC Lee Enfield Carbine .303 cal

Hi
    That,s a nice rifle and bayonet in great condition. Thanks for letting us see it.

Thanks Martin

I agree nice Enfield.

Eric

A handsome looking combination.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice carbine. Rarely seen.

What was the mag capacity?

P.

Thanks on the comments Folks-the mag cap is 6-cavalry carbines were designed with smooth lines for getting in and out of saddle buckets and thus the smaller magazine that didn't stick out as much-I'm a member of the local militaria/weapon collecting society here in Perth and the 4th member to own the carbine since it was imported to WA in the mid seventies.

?

What a beauty! I bet your proud of her and her sharp friend!
    ~Dean

Very nice historical carbine!

Is there a ring added to the barrel end, in the modification proces? Was adding the piece of wood near the end of the stock, standard as well?
    Is it loaded with a stripper clip or "one by one" as in the former carbine, Lee Metford and Long Lee Enfields?

My compliments!
    Emile

Yes-the bright metal barrel extension was added as the original muzzle diameter was too small for the bayonet-it was never intended to have a bayo on it-the modifications to the fore end stock were also needed for it-the carbines and bayos were given for free to the RIC but they had to pay for the modifications to mount the bayos-as I said before they were very keen on having weapons with bayonets for crowd control in an often hostile Ireland. The carbine was loaded with single rounds not chargers.

?

Nice RIC! I have one in similar condition:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast