Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rifle I though was a P14?

Article about: Gens help me please. There is rifle I was sure it is a p14 . But it's painted in red and white stripes as p17s used to be painted in Britain. The point is p17s never had volley-fire sights,

?

Default Rifle I though was a P14?

Gens help me please. There is rifle I was sure it is a p14 . But it's painted in red and white stripes as p17s used to be painted in Britain.

The point is p17s never had volley-fire sights, I can assume the wood was changed. But did the p17s ever have broad arrow struck? Or ever market with DP?

what is the rifle actually? a p13?

It's a deact so I can't push a round in it to check.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rifle I though was a P14?   Rifle I though was a P14?  

Rifle I though was a P14?   Rifle I though was a P14?  

Rifle I though was a P14?  

Default Re: Rifle I though was a P14?

It has P14 Eddystone production 'fatso' woodwork-an M1917 receiver ring will be marked as per the attached photo-a P14 would just have the marking ERA on the receiver-DP rifles are often painted in obvious colours for the training role so you can see what they are (not live!).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rifle I though was a P14?  

?

Thanks lightgov, it's market ERA (forgot to mention in the first topic) . What is 'fatso' please?

The red and white stripes are typically painted on British drill rifles.

Is your rifle stamped "DP" (DP for Drill Purpose) anywhere?
    ...furniture
    ...barrel
    ...receiver
    ...bolt

Also, the barrel should be drilled through transversely and possible a rod welded in the barrel.
    ...the wood furniture will have a notch cut out below the hole in the barrel

If it does, this is a true British DEWAT Drill Purpose rifle. Possible one of those sold/given to India in 1947 when India "left" the British Empire.
    ...commonly referred to as a "Curry Gun"

Many were repatriated back to the US in the 1970's as collectors items.

Cheers,
    Brad
    Last edited by staples57; 08-08-2012 at 02:34 AM.

The P14 rifles were all made at 3 factories in the US during 1915-17, Remington, Winchester and a Remington subsidiary Eddystone-the first 2 used a narrower forestock with finger grooves on the sides while ERA used a wider one without the grooves, nicknamed the 'fatso'-the M1917s all used the narrower stock with longer finger grooves and no long range dial sights unlike the British rifles-these are almost always found removed to some extent or other as the rifles were overhauled post WW1.

The P14s were rarely used in action in either World War (except for small numbers used as sniper rifles) but were very widely used for training and 'home guard' use through out the Commonwealth/Empire.

PS- see attached M1917 photo (upper rifle).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rifle I though was a P14?  

?

Thanks gents. I 's actually have a hole drilled trough. I used to think it's a part of deactivation and DPs are everywhere: on the reciver; on stock, on barrel etc

When these rifles were repatriated back in the 1970's many (if not most) were refurbished, re-barreled and made into shooters again.
    Finding an unmolested ex-British DP rifle is fairly rare.

Yours appears to be in fine condition.
    Great collector piece!

?

Thanks it's rust free and no pitting whatsoever. Sadly there is crack to wood on front guard.

Quote by ph3s View Post
    Thanks it's rust free and no pitting whatsoever. Sadly there is crack to wood on front guard.
    If it's a small crack that doesn't affect the appearance then I would leave it as is.

Otherwise, if you can remove the front guard (without affecting the crack) you may be able to glue it from the underside (without affecting the top finish). Use a good quality wood glue! Applying (gluing) a thin layer (or two, diagonal to each other) of gauze (like first aid gauze) over the crack from the underside can add strength and prevent it from getting worse.

Worst case, you can take it to a local furniture re-finisher / restorer and see if they can fix the crack or at least strengthen it so it doesn't get worse.
    ...most gun smiths these days don't know how to fix wood furniture on firearms.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Brad

?

No it doesn't affect at all, as soon as I got a little time I was planing to get into it. Thanks again gents