Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA

Article about: Hi. Can you help me to find out what means ERA stamp on Ross Enfield rifle P14, please?

Voldis
    ?

Default Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA

Hi. Can you help me to find out what means ERA stamp on Ross Enfield rifle P14, please?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA  

Default Re: Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA

'Eddystone Remington Arms'-one of the 3 factories that made the Enfield P14 in the US during WW1-it was a subsidiary of Remington set up to make the rifle.

PS-the Ross Rifle is a different design produced in Canada for their army but also used by the UK and others mainly for training.

Hi,
    blimey Lithgow that was fast and easy,lol learn something every day, also kumpel, could we see the whole weapon please.
    dave.

Voldis
    ?

Thanks! It is not my rifle. Just wanted to know about stamp. You confirmed it have been made in USA. I wanted compare Ross Enfield P14 rifle made in England to rifle from USA. Looks like rifles from England also had fitted volley sight but americans had not this sight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA  

Voldis
    ?

All the P14 rifles were made with the dial long range sights but most had them removed when the rifles were refitted in the 1920s-usually the dial plate was left in place but the 'pointer' was removed and the rear post as well-the US M1917 .30 06 calibre version never had them fitted.

Voldis
    ?

It means that P14 only diference was in markings?

Very few P 14 rifles were made in Britain-the rifle had started as the P13 (1913) in a new 7mm bullet but this didn't work properly and then WW1 started in 1914-the rifle had been designed for easy mass production and so the design was made in .303 calibre in 3 factories in the US (Eddystone, Remington and Winchester) as all production capacity in Britain was fully occupied making Lee Enfield SMLE rifles-when the US entered the war in 1917 they were very short on rifles when raising a new large army-the factories were already set up for making the rifles and it was fairly easy to redesign the rifle for the US .30 06 bullet and so it was made as the Enfield M1917 for the US (not identical but very similar to the P14)-the rifles were stored away after WW1 and then brought out for WW2-both types were mainly used for training and the Homeguard in that war.

PS Attached are pictures of my M1917 Rifle (top in 1st pic) and a close up of the receiver markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA   Ross Enfield P14 stamp ERA  

Quote by lithgow View Post
    the rifles were stored away after WW1 and then brought out for WW2-both types were mainly used for training and the Homeguard in that war.
    Just to add to this, 'P14' Rifles were used as sniper rifles in WW2, and proved popular with British snipers. In the book With British Snipers To The Reich, the author Captain C Shore, used, and was a huge fan of the sniper version of the 1914 Pattern Rifle, or as it was known by then, the No 3 Mk I*(T) Rifle.

Rob

Voldis
    ?

Yeh. It was my mistake. I though that part of all p14 rifles was produced in GB. But all of them came from USA. Thanks for your answers. Now I am on right way. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast