Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ruger American Rifle Ranch - 300 Blackout

Article about: I few months ago, I solicited your feedback on rifles/calibers for a 14 year old who has only shot 22 and 223. After looking high and low for used rifles (locally) for the last few months I

In my opinion the 300 Blackout should stick around Map. Seems to offer a lot . Can't wait for a range report . Scope sounds like a good choice. Read a couple reviews in Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo and it sounds like a winner. Most of these guns like the Ruger American and Savage Axis tend to shoot very accurately. Often lack the walnut and glossy metal bluing of the earlier guns but still very accurate.

MAP
    ?

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    In my opinion the 300 Blackout should stick around Map. Seems to offer a lot . Can't wait for a range report . Scope sounds like a good choice. Read a couple reviews in Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo and it sounds like a winner. Most of these guns like the Ruger American and Savage Axis tend to shoot very accurately. Often lack the walnut and glossy metal bluing of the earlier guns but still very accurate.
    Thanks Mauser.

I hope it sticks around. That is always the worry with "new" calibers. This one has been around I think for around 5+ years and seems to be gaining popularity. Especially on the AR platforms.

The scope is basic and not super high end but reviews note it has good optics, holds up well to temperature swings and is pretty rugged.

I think all in all it is a good first hunting combo that could actually be a life time piece.

I only bought 40 rounds ($1 a pop) to start. I may get 5 or 6 shots, and then it will be me trying to teach him how to sight it in. So "range" report may be a bit skewed...LoL Hopefully I can get it zero'ed quickly.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

So results are in. Only had 40 rounds and ran out before we could really sight it in perfectly but I was Oh So close. If I had just a few more rounds it would have been perfect.

Out of the box the scope was literally shooting off the paper so we had to scrounge a huge piece of cardboard just to see where the bullets were landing. So wasted 20 rounds right there.

My last grouping at 100 yards had one flyer which was all my fault. In the end it was just 2 inches off of center. For a short rifle, it's very accurate.

My son was still getting used to the kick from the larger caliber and also shooting at 100 yard for the first time, so he didn't do too bad his first time out. (the hole at 12:00 is not a bullet hole). Given his grouping to the left to right and up and down of center (versus mine) you can see it wasn't the rifle/scope. But give him 20 more rounds and he will be hitting the middle ring soon enough.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Michael,
    Try getting one of these. I have helped many guys get it on paper before you waist ammo.

.22-.50 cal aim it down a hallway and adjust you cross hairs till on the bullseye then take it out. It takes it to just needing to fine tune for ammo used.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Michael,
    Try getting one of these. I have helped many guys get it on paper before you waist ammo.

.22-.50 cal aim it down a hallway and adjust you cross hairs till on the bullseye then take it out. It takes it to just needing to fine tune for ammo used.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I know.......I know......I know........

My friend has one and I should have borrowed it. But I figured....how far off could the scope really be. Well 24 inches off! LoL

Well worth it to save ammo. Sighted in a Ruger American in .270 Win. last week. Very decent group at 100 yards. Less frills and matte finished but the American series gets the job done for reasonable money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2