Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian capture K98

Article about: The gun legislation in Europe is ridiculous, to an extent you would not even imagine. In Denmark, IF you are allowed to own a firearm, you would have to store it in a gun club. Only after ye

?

Default Russian capture K98

I have found this Russian capture K98 for sale. I am waiting to hear back on matching numbers, but from what i have read here that is probably a dream. Wood looks to be in decent shape, but as for the rest of it please let me know what you think. Price at $550 is OK if the numbers match I believe, but a little high if not. It is 7.92x57 8mm mauser round.Russian capture K98Russian capture K98Russian capture K98Russian capture K98Russian capture K98Russian capture K98Russian capture K98

?

Default Re: Russian capture K98

I see at least the original waffenampt stamp is still present and at least two of the serial numbers are still matching.

Regards Mark K

?

Looks fine to me. Price not bad at all.

I just got a Russian capture as a gift from my gf...

If I fully understand Russian captures, they NEVER have matching numbers. The Russians rearsenaled these rifles... they took the rifles away from the German military and stripped them down and threw all of the parts into bins. They did whatever modifications they needed to do, shellacked the stocks a deep reddish color, and rebuilt the rifles piece by piece by picking parts out of the bins at random... they were just concentrated on stockpiling rifles, not rebuilding each rifle so all the pieces match. Essentially, a matching number Russian K98 is impossible... unless someone ground down the original numbers and stamped it with fake matching numbers. The numbers scratched or electropenciled into the bolt, safety, receiver, etc. by the Russians DO NOT COUNT as being matching numbers.

I think the asking price is too high. You should shop around a little more... Maybe she just got a great deal... but the rifle my girlfriend got me only cost her $300 plus tax, and it seems to be in just as good condition if not better than the one you have pictured! She said there were another two K98s at the gunshop she went two. One was more expensive and had Israeli markings, the other was a Russian capture that was $20 cheaper and in worse condition.

The barreled receiver on my rifle is a bnz 1941. It was made by Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr, Austria. I shot it for the first time today... it was amazing! It functioned flawlessly, the bolt action was butter smooth, and it was extremely accurate!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 11-06-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Agreed, i own few RC k98s $400 is my limit and even then it has to be a prewar.

Gizm correct, impossible for matching k98. Also the new Russain finish on RC k98s are really dark compared to original k98 blueing.

Another thing to consider, is RC rifles condition veris greatly. some can have a lot of pitting and others have little or non.

Agree with Frantz. Make lower offer see what happens. Good luck

I have one of these RC K98's, too. They are great shooters, mainly because the barrels I see in them all have great, intact rifling. Wouldn't it be great if there was a database somewhere, where all of the numbers of everyone's K98 could be posted, and then traded, to match their rifle?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I have one of these RC K98's, too. They are great shooters, mainly because the barrels I see in them all have great, intact rifling. Wouldn't it be great if there was a database somewhere, where all of the numbers of everyone's K98 could be posted, and then traded, to match their rifle?
    Pretty good idea, only if every one that had RC k98s joined in on data base.

There are other problems too-many are spread around the world and gun parts are generally controlled items for import/export-some will also have been deactivated or scrapped over the years...

Not to make this a political thread, but after reading lithgow's reply, I can't help but feel sad for those of you that live in countries with very tight gun control. You are so limited on what you can buy, and the hoops you have to jump through to buy what is legal can be ridiculous. If it was that way in the USA, I never would have gotten to shoot a WWII Lend-Lease Act Thompson sub-machine gun, full auto, which was very sweet......and kind of expensive, but well worth the money!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast