Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!

Article about: Well this was my last find for the week. It has bin a great week if you noticed from My last post a few days ago. I DO not know anything about m-60s so i figured maybe we have a vet on here

?

Default Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!

Well this was my last find for the week. It has bin a great week if you noticed from My last post a few days ago. I DO not know anything about m-60s so i figured maybe we have a vet on here that packed one of these around before.

I picked this up for nearly nothing but honestly i have not seen any around for display. This is a non firing display with all functional parts. There are no internal parts so I think its not considered a machine gun?. Looks like there was a cut into the receiver and someone did weld it back together. The barrel might be cut since there looks like a weld in it but i could be wrong. Someone put a block of wood inside the receiver as you can notice inside the receiver. Charging handle moves a little on it. In thinking its 1980s? I'm not sure. Hope its legal in U.S.

Made by Saco-lovell N.E. DIV

I don't known if there is a collector value on these as i notice it still has a lot of good parts to it. I don't think if could ever be made to fire but I'm not sure. Do not know of there is money in these ..part kits?

Any help would be great...thanks
    I apologize that the pictures are backwards. I don't use a computer so it messes up sometimes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!   Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!  

Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!   Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!  

FUBARR,

Though I'm not in the know with these and even being non-firing, it is still a nice display piece. Thank you for sharing!

?

oh your welcome. Im glad you enjoyed viewing it. I dont know anything about it either and hopefully someone will jump in and take a shot at it

Nice looking M-60.. I humped the pig for 3 years as a infantryman in the 101st in the 80's.. Loved it and I still love it today.. This is a parts welded gun, which you won't be able to fire, and looks pretty decent. These are legal to own in the US and if you were sell this you could get anywhere from $1200 to $1800 in the condition it is in. Some of the parts are missing, the selector on the trigger is missing for safe and fire, and I'm not sure if the handguard under the barrel can be removed or if it has been welded to the gun. The butterfly spring on the right side of the gun to release the barrel is missing so I am inclined to believe the barrel is welded to the gun as well.

You should now try looking for the components that go with the gun.. Spare barrel bag, barrel mitten, Technical manual, wrench, cleaning kit, night vision mount, tripod, Traversing and Elevating mechanism, pintle, cloth bandoleer, 7.62 ammo belt etc.. With all the additional components to this gun you could get from $3,000 to $5,000...

I have a complete M-60 with all the components and these look great in Vietnam to Desert Storm exhibits. Shortly after DS the M240 replaced the aging M60...

Here is a picture of my M60 that is on loan...

You did great...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!  

?

Thanks for your service to our country.

I knew i would find a "pig packer" in here. Thanks for the compliments on it. Believe it or not it was picked up basically at a garage sale. I believe the Bottom can be removed ill have to research it how to remove it unless you could tell me. Yes its pretty solid shape and also not bad whoever re welded it. Im surprised its legal actually for the receiver is pretty well intact..could it be fixed for semi auto?.
    I noticed some parts were missing and specially the butterfly for barrel removal. I want to see how they welded the barrel but may be I can remove the Bottom Hand guard to check it out? I agree with you...ill get the rest of the parts to finish it. Would like to get a view on the barrel. Maybe its possible to remove it

?

I looked at how to remove the hand guards with the hole on the bottom. Barrel has to be removed first but I don't know of that's possible now since i don't have the wing nut. Looks like they cut it flushed

More than likely it is a solid piece. I used to use the operating rod to pop the handguard off. Also under the barrel is the gas port. At the front is a nut, the m60 wrench had an open ended wrench to take this plug off. Inside was the gas piston. If your gas port is not welded you can check and see if the piston is inside. You did good picking this gun up.. Smitty..

You can also check and see if the rear butt stock can be removed. With the feed tray open there should be a notched square piece that holds the buffer and butt stock in place. Pull this piece (if present) straight up. This will release the buffer and you will have access to the operating rod (spring guide), bolt, operating rod spring and the lower receiver which you mentioned has a block of wood. I don't think that the rear butt stock can be removed, hence making this an inoperable gun at either semi or full auto..

Here you will see some pictures of the more common additional items that can be picked up to display with your gun..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!   Saco Lowell M-60 7.62. "Pig" pick up!  

Default M-60

More than a few years ago, I bought 2 fully functional Maremont M-60's on form 4s for $3500. the pair. Bought a bunch of bolts, op rods & barrels, etc.. Gave the second one to my brother who sold it about 7-8 years ago. Buyer divorced about 2 years after.........???

Still have mine & a ton of ammo for it. I sold some of the extras I had under the bench for so long & got enuff money for them to cover the $$$ I had in the gun I kept. It is technically a freeby, as are the spares. Donna fusses about the tall front sight. ???? No complaint about M-16, just M-60, M-16 also has wood rather than black plastic.....no such for the M-60. Now that she is one legged, no more belly-down guns for her, a basement post mount is kinda handy. I recently adapted MG 34 to that same mount.......it was already MG 42 capable. We havnt shot M-60 for several years as she likes a sit down water cooled since she cant move around without help, particularly in grass and we have several.

Some picts enclosed.......

PJH