Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it safe to dry fire a Vintovka Mosina?

Article about: Thanks mate

Default Is it safe to dry fire a Vintovka Mosina?

I have heard that dry firing can damage the internals of this rifle. Others have said it won't harm the rifle. Does anybody know?

Default Re: Is it safe to dry fire a Vintovka Mosina?

Dry firing can damage any weapon if you do it too much. I would recommend snap caps which can be found in many hunting stores.

I have known of 12 bore shotguns shearing/ bending their firing pins when dry fired and damaging the firing pin spring too. Also had a Winchester .22LR pump that was prone to breaking the pin if dry fired too often. Safe bet is don't do it!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Never dry fire any firearm.

Using snap caps is fine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I don't dry fire mine. On some guns, such as the Cz. 52, the firing pin is cast iron, and it can shatter if it is dry fired.

It's going to be really difficult to fight the temptation from now on I love the sound of that bolt! I may have to lock it away in my closet until I can get some snap caps. Thanks guys,

Corey

You still get that sound with the snap caps, as there is no "BANG" to cover the sound. Even with snap caps I wouldn't do it too much. I like the snap caps with the spings so the primer can bounce back into position, but I have found these types to break often and can be pricey. Like the others said, it's best not to do it at all, if you can help it.

?

Ignorant person here....looking at the video..."snap caps" are basicaly Fancy drill rounds???

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Ignorant person here....looking at the video..."snap caps" are basicaly Fancy drill rounds???
    The video I posted above? That's of me using my Mosin w snapcaps. Yeah, they're basically drill rounds... they're aluminium dummy rounds that have a soft or spring loaded "primer area" that cushions the firing pin when it hits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast