Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Saved from destruction!!!

Article about: These pair were up for destruction in Kosovo a few years ago. They are now safe in the Celle Garrison museum. The markings on the MP 40 can be seen in the photos. The Luger is DWM 1917 with

Default Re: Saved from destruction!!!

John,

As you well know its amazing what you can fit in a Warrior and a 432. My worst bad luck was I had 18 brand new Fedayene helmets which G1 cleared out of theatre but German customs confiscated at Emden, luckily one was in the 432 cage so at least theres that. Gutted though! I never saw the trophy weapons again, I had a nice dragonov!

Jock

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Luke,

When we would visit a village the 'Slipovich'
    Jeez Jock. The old slip in the ditch I was out there too in '94/5 some of the chogies had a few German Daggers stashed away, but the buggers used to use them! Funny enough I just spent a long weekend in Prague, and they were selling the old Slip! but i refrained from buying, or drinking any, as I remember how i felt the first, and last time i tried it.

And yes, its amazing how much will fit into a 432, if you know where to stash it, although a Bedford has some good places too!

Do you know what the unit mark is on the Luger?

Thanks...

Shookum,

I will check next time I'm there but I'm sure it was Light Artillery Regt 217 or 277?

Jock

Jock,

I would be interested.

Thanks...

Ron

Ron,

Went today, the marking is L. AI. 233. The pistol is dated 1916, the mark could date from WW2? Now I have looked again I'm not sure of which unit that would represent?

Jock

Jock,

It's a Weimar Police pistol. L.Al.= Landjägerei (Rural Police) Allenstein District, 233 is the rack number. Landjägerei marked Lugers are scarcer than Municipal police marked guns.

If it had or still has a "magazine safety" (an angled flat piece of metal that blocks the trigger when the mag is removed) that's a big plus. Most had them removed or clipped, because they didn't work. If it was fitted for one, there will be a 1/4" hole drilled in the frame behind the side plate. It should also have a sear safety installed. A long thin dog-legged piece of metal riveted to the top left receiver that rests on top of the side plate.

The Germans ordered Military unit marking to cease in 1934. The theory is that they didn't want units to be identified by markings on captured weapons.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the info. Next time I will make some detailed photos for you. When I cocked it today it would not fire even with the safety off but there was no magazine fitted. I have asked my pals there where the mag has gone as it was there when put on loan.

Jock

Jock,

I have noticed the helmet in your avatar. Is that an original helmet of some type? It's a very odd design. I know very little about helmets.

Ron

Ron,

I have posted it on here, I forget where but I know it had 'gift' in the title as it was a present from a friend, it had always been in his family. It is about ashtray size or maybe a paperweight? Who knows??

Jock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast